Chapter 4

Kara's heart was pounding in her chest, and she tried desperately to make sense of all the emotions bubbling inside her. Everything around her looked blurry and confusing, except for Lena's name flashing inside her head, the growing sense of panic and detachment becoming dangerously overwhelming.

Groggily, she tried to reach for her phone. It was right there, on the nightstand by her bed, but it all seemed so far away and so out of reach. She tried again and managed to touch the phone, only to knock it to the ground.

She groaned, frustrated, and tried to get out of bed, reaching for the phone again, but nothing seemed to be working properly with her body, and her legs just gave out when she tried to stand up, falling heavily on her knees.

She felt no pain, just dizziness that was overwhelming and incapacitating. She tried to reach her phone one more time, managing to take a solid grip on it this time. Her breathing was still ragged and heavy, her vision blurry, and she had to try several times before unlocking her phone and dial Lena's number, only to reach voice mail instead. She let out a growl of frustration, carelessly dropping the phone again. 

"Lena..." she rasped, frantic.

Kara tried to use the bed as support for getting herself up, but her uncooperative legs felt like jelly. Getting angrier by the minute, the Kryptonian let out an enraged cry.

"Damn it..." desperate tears fell from her eyes. She knew Lena was in danger, that she needed her. Why was nothing working? She was trying so hard to float, but why couldn't she?

"Kara?"

Kara's foggy mind recognized Alex's voice, and she looked up, anxious. "Alex... help me up..."

"Kara, what are you doing?"

Alex's hands grabbed her arm forcibly as another pair of hands grabbed her other arm.

"I have..." Kara licked her suddenly dry lips. "Lena... I have... I have to get to her."

"Kara, Lena is in Ireland and—"

"—she's in danger!" Kara tried to escape from her hands that held her down and almost succeeded, but her strength was failing her as well.

"Kara, Lena is fine. We'll call her once you calm down."

Kara shook her head, hot tears still running down her face.

"Phone is off..." Kara tried again. "I have to..."

"Code KSG11," Alex shouted to the person next to her. "Now!"

"Alex... help me up, please..." Kara was sobbing now, grabbing Alex's arm desperately, her dulled eyes pleading. "Please... I have to get to her..."

"Sweetie, she's all right; it was all a bad dream." Alex pressed against her, trying to hold her down with her weight. "We'll try to call her in a minute, but please, I need you to calm down."

"No!" Kara tried again, despair giving her a new sense of purpose and newfound strength, and she almost almost succeeded in pushing Alex away from her. "I have to go there..."

"Kara, please," Alex begged.

Kara let out a low whimper as she felt the tingling pain of kryptonite spreading from her wrists, her now unresisting arms held secured against the bed.

"Alex..." she let out a heartbreaking moan.

"I'm sorry..." Alex whispered brokenly. "I'm so sorry."

"No..." Kara sobbed harder, still trying to get up, but her body was too weak and unresponsive. "Alex... please..."

Kara felt a sting in her arm, a hot liquid invading her body quickly.