[19] Harespring

Harespring gulped down a mouthful of rabbit. The travelling cats were encouraged to eat a lot to give them energy for the journey.

"Thank you so much. For everything, Stoneteller." He saw Icewing bow her head in respect to the grey tom.

"Happy to help." Stoneteller replied. "The clan cats have helped us in the past, we are simply returning a favour. I think most of the tribe would agree."

The brown and white tom sat up, satisfied with the food he had eaten, he didn't want to eat so much it would give him a stomach ache.

Soon the other travelling cats gathered around the cave entrance, eager for the journey ahead. Stormfur and Stoneteller padded up to talk to them.

"There seems to be no eagles around." Stormfur reported. "But if you do take shelter until they pass."

"I wish you well on your journey." Stoneteller added.

"Wait." Larkwing blurted out, ears folded back in hesitation. "I... I'd like to stay with the tribe if that's okay with you." She turned to her travelling companions. "We're on a journey to find a new home, I think I've found mine here.

Harespring searched for the reactions on the other cats' faces but they simply looked friendly and understanding.

"Of course you can, Larkwing!" Furzepelt nodded.

Other cats chimed in with encouragement and the pale brown tabby clearly looked relieved.

Larkwing looked over at Stoneteller who called her over with his tail. "We'll be happy to have you, Larkwing. But I'd like to make sure, being a member of the tribe. It's not easy work."

"I've thought it through and discussed it with a few of the tribe." The she-cat answered.

"Very well." Stoneteller dipped his head. "Lark that Glides on Wing. Welcome to the Tribe of Rushing Water."

Lark's eyes teared up with joy as the cats around her chanted her name, before she turned to her former companions for the last time.

"Thank you. I hope you find the home you're looking for. I really do. I'll miss you all." She turned to the ex-WindClan warriors. "Maybe we'll meet again, who knows?"

She headed over to the tribe cats who beckoned to her a place where she could sit.

"Good luck!" A tribe cat called to the travelling cats.

More cats joined in as the group headed through the waterfall. Harespring blinked as the sunlight blinded him for a heartbeat

They started on their journey down the mountain. Harespring heard some shouts and yells behind them and turned around quickly worrying that something bad had happened or Lark had suddenly changed her mind, but it was just some to-be's and some of the younger cats.

"Goodbye!" A dark brown tom with a pale underbelly yelled. A silver and white tom beside him waved his tail frantically.

"Get back here!" He heard an older she-cat snap, he assumed she was one of younger cats' mother or mentor. The travelling cats chuckled.

Harespring sought out Whiskernose and Ratscar but the the dark brown tom was ranting about staying safe in the mountains, how clumsy younger cats were and how he wouldn't be surprised if an eagle picked one of them of the mountain. Whiskernose was nodding along, pretending to look interested. Harespring then decided it was probably best not to join in.

Instead he decided to simply admire the view.

"Hey Mousewhisker! Watch this!"

Harespring's gaze snapped to Furzepelt who leapt forward and landed on some stones, skidding down a mountain.

"Furzepelt!" Blossomfall yelled in alarm while Mousewhisker laughed.

The start of journey was relatively smooth. There were no eagles about and apart from a few stumbles and falls they were relatively uninjured. But Harespring knew this was about to change when he spotted a large patch of snow not to far down the mountain, sheltered from the sun.

Tigerheart took a leap and slid down the snow, his tail whipping frantically as he fought for balance. He tumbled head over paws until he dissapeared into a lump of snow.

Harespring heard Ivypool, a usually stoic and serious cat inhale sharply while even Breezepelt was struggling to hide a smirk.

"Tigerheart! Are you alright!" Dovewing shouted.

The dark brown tabby's head soon remerged. "I'm fine!" He laughed.

Harespring was knocked aside as Mousewhisker bounded past him, rolling down the slope, Ivypool and Blossomfall not to far behind him.

Several more cats joined in as Harespring watched.

"You should give it a shot!" Applefur suggested, stopping beside him.

The brown and white tom shook his head. "I'll leave the younger cats to enjoy it."

"Harespring, you're still a young cat." The molly pointed out. "They're the same age as you, some even older."

"I..." Harespring started before staring at his paws.

"You don't need to be so serious all the time. I know a lot has happened recently but I think its good to relax and have a laugh once in a while." The mottled brown feline continued

"Okay." He took a step forward. "I'll give it a go."

He pressed his paw into the snow, shivering as it sunk through. It was slightly more solid than on the moors many tail-legnths below.

He leapt forward, landing on his side as he slid across the snow. He felt the wind against his fur as he slid past Mousewhisker and Ivypool who were cheering him on, narrowly avoiding Blossomfall a heartbeat later.

"Tigerheart!"
"Slow down!"

He spotted Tigerheart struggling out the deep patch of snow and desperately tried to slow himself down, digging his claws into the snow. Tigerheart let out a yelp as the thin tom crashed into him.

Harespring pulled himself out of the snow, shaking it off his whiskers. Hid heart was pounding.

"Are you alright?" He turned to face the tabby tom.

Tigerheart's fur was on end, his chest was puffed up and the lean tom worried that he had irritated or scared him.

"Harespring." He laughed. "I wasn't expecting that! Especially from you!"

The brown and white tom relaxed, chuckling along with him. He gazed up at Applefur, raising his tail to reassure her everything was alright.