Chapter 4

(a/n, this is the beginning of the story)

It was strange to see a young lady of her age running and tearing through crowds of people on a bright Sunday after church service. The lady was well known amongst the townspeople- some turned their heads as the fair scholar held her skirt up, as to not trip on the length and layers, for she had not changed out of her church linens. Not that she needed to- where she was going, this sort of attire was required. 

As she rounded the corner, skillfully dodging many oncoming townsfolk and carriages, some people scoffed at her carelessness, but she knew better than to care. Maybe it would've been better to take a carriage- she was running late and was way past exhausted. The bright sun beamed down at her and shined off the darkly colored horses. Perhaps this was the sunniest day England had, for she couldn't remember the last time the sky was this cloudless. As she rushed past newsies and vendors, her pace slowed when the large iron gates came into view. She watched as the two guards slowly move to open them, they rattled and screeched with rust as they granted her access inside the courtyard. 

The lady moved the stray hairs out of her face, calming her breaths and regaining composure. She couldn't have been that late, after all, she left right when she could, didn't even get to small talk with the priest like she usually did. Instead, right as she went to approach the priest, he briefly explained that she was needed by Nicholas Cornwell at the town hall.  Whatever this was, it must be important, she's never left right after service like that. Her mind raced with the endless possibilities- part of her was afraid she did something wrong, and Nicholas was going to get her in trouble, but the other parts of her knew that she did nothing wrong. She had hardly seen him over the summer, why would he need her now?

She opened the tall, large doors and was greeted by the musty smells of books and dried ink. "Cheryl." She said to the small ginger sitting at the front desk, too engrossed in a book to have noticed the taller woman come in. 

"Oh, Y/N!" Cheryl looked at her with a small laugh. "I'm sorry about that dear, you're so quiet. I didn't even notice the door open." She kept her place in the book with a piece of velvet ribbon before she went to greet her acquaintance. 

"Are you here to see Nicholas?" She questioned and the taller girl nodded. 

"Yes, but, do you have any idea why he called me here so suddenly?" She asked, hoping that she could give her some answers. "I was told by Priest Abraham, but he told me nothing other than to get here as fast as I could."

"Yes, actually... I have some idea." She looked around to see if anyone was paying attention to their conversation, then she grabbed Y/N's elbow lightly and started to walk her to Nicholas's office, slowly, and speaking in a hushed tone. "I believe he wants you to work on a new case."

The girl beside her audibly gasped- a new case? She hadn't worked on one before, and despite begging him every second of every day last winter, he never assigned her to one.

"Well, there's been talk. Especially with those chains of unsolved murders that have been popping up recently, he's been having meetings with the council that's closely related to the Queen herself- and from what I've heard, detectives are hard to come by nowadays." Y/N listened to every word she said, brimming with curiosity. 

"But, that isn't even the best part!" The talkative woman grabbed both of Y/N's hands and squeezed them tight. "Y/N, someone came in with Nicholas today- someone I recognized immediately. He seems to be well acquainted with him, and I am confident he will be your partner in this upcoming case-"

"Partner? Who is it? Who'd you see, Cheryl?" The taller girl didn't want to rush her, but at the same time, Cheryl was very good at beating around the bush. It was a bit hurtful that Nicholas thought she was in need of a partner, after all, she had proved her accountability and skill over and over again. Maybe the sexism in the industry had an effect on Nicholas as well. 

Cheryl looked around one last time before quietly saying his name- "Voltaire. The prestigious detective, known to solve the hardest of cases! I even heard Nicholas say his name, I know I am not making this up!" She turned to the girl and held her hands tightly. "Y/N, do you have any idea how great this is? You're getting to work with someone as amazing as him-"

"Yes, I know, I... can hardly believe it myself..." It seemed too good to be true. It would be bad to allow herself to indulge in the thought because it seemed so unreal. Voltaire was an amazing investigator, known especially for his involvement with the Quincy Cases. At only 17, hardly finished his studies, he had solved a murder crime that stumped every private investigator the Quincy household could hire. It was amazing and mind-boggling. His talents with observation and skills with problem-solving are ones that you can't obtain from a book. Y/N has known his name, or at least he calls himself, for quite some time now. Ever since he solved his first crime, the boy has been on the covers of all the newspapers for the past couple of years now. "A child prodigy", is what many people called him. However, most detectives despise him for stealing all the important cases and solving them within days. He's a real competition in the field. 

It made you wonder how good he actually was. 

"Do you really think I'll work with him?"

"Don't be like that," She smacked her arm gently. "Of course. You've been wanting this for a long time. Why else would Mr. Cornwell call you here with a detective like him?"

"Well... maybe because I'm a young woman and-"

"Now hush, he wouldn't go that far." She said. Nicholas Cornwell had been making it his responsibility for the last couple of months to find suitors for the youthful Y/N. She was at the ripe age for marriage, however, it seemed like Y/N herself could never find a man. They always seemed to find her, but she'd just brush them off. "Even if he was... I wouldn't be one to complain."

"Of course you wouldn't." She giggled quietly at the girl beside her- she had always been one to look out for attractive men. That was, until she married last fall. "Okay. Enough conspiracy- it's time I find out what dear brother needs."

Y/N was standing outside the tall wooden doors when Cheryl squeezed her arm gently for good luck. Her footsteps decrescendoed down the hall as two muffled voices could be heard from beyond the door. She tried to flatten her messy hair before knocking twice. "Come in," Said a familiar voice behind the door. 

The girl slowly opened it, the cringes squeaking slightly as she bowed to the stranger in the room. Nicholas stood up from the small sofa he was rested on. Across from him, the familiar stranger also stood up, straightening his dark trenchcoat and following behind Nicholas. She could only seem to rest her eyes on the familiar face of a friend, perhaps too nervous to look the stranger in the eyes.

"Y/N, there's someone I'd like you to meet," He turned towards the man standing beside him, now you had no choice but to look him in the eyes out of courtesy. "This is Voltiaere, a famous detective whom I'm certain you've heard of. Voltiaere, my dearest friend Y/N."

She could smile at his deep brown eyes, and he would smile right back, their personalities connecting easily. His features seemed to glow with a natural fond look towards her. "It's very nice to meet you, Miss Y/N." He took your hand and kissed your knuckles gently, in which she returned with a small bow.

"The pleasure is all mine."

a/n wowie thank you guys for the support, it makes my heart happy. 

this is the beginning of the project they are writing, and I already have a lot of the plot figured out. however, I don't write things down that often so its possible I could forget in a week lol. 

but do not fret, for I'm going to start the next chapter in like two seconds lol

have  a great day  <33