𝟎𝟓 - 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐬𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐮𝐬

𝐀𝐮𝐠𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝟐𝟗𝐭𝐡, 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟓

Remus was still heaving up green clouds of Floo powder by the time the three boys stepped out onto the cobbled streets of Diagon Alley. They counted the seconds after you left, leaving a quick time slot for you to wander off before shuffling into the upstairs study, fistfuls of coarse green sand clutched tightly in their palms.

Sirius never did like the Floo Network very much. The dust always crept into his nose and made him sneeze. Not to mention that standing in the fireplace for too long always left soot-stains on his trousers. But it beat the alternative; trailing after you on foot — or feet, depending on whether or not he could convince Prongs to let Moony catch a ride on his back through central London.

James stood with his back to the sun, hands cupped over his brow as his eyes swept over the street. It had cleared out a bit for lunch, but worried mothers and their eager children were still scattered around as they did their last-minute school shopping. 

Remus and Sirius stood a little ways behind him, arms crossed in the realization that this was probably not the best idea in the world. But it was too late to go back. They were already there and James was already having too much fun.

"Where oh where did my little (Y/N) run off to?" He sang, lips pursed in a drawn-out whistle.

"Should we split up?" Sirius suggested with his eyes narrowed as he inspected a passing group of girls. They were much younger than you, but he was on high-alert. Especially since he knew just who you were consorting with. "We'd cover more ground that way, I think."

Beside him, Remus seemed laid back. Hands in pockets, perusing the shop fronts as they marched past. He was trying not to look too bothered but Sirius knew by the tilt of his sharp nose in the air that he was trying to pinpoint her scent. 

He still found it freaky that Moony could do that, even though he would be doing the same if it were possible for him to become Padfoot at the moment. 

"Flourish and Blotts, maybe?" Remus suggested finally. "She likes the books."

"And in other news, Moony, Dumbledore has a beard."

James snorted and clapped Remus on the shoulder, who was still rolling his eyes over Sirius' comment. "We'll start at Ollivanders and work our way back, yeah? Leave no stone unturned and all that."

Sirius was about to agree when he caught a flash of darkness in the corner of his eye. Throwing his head back, he was able to make out the familiar shrouded entrance of Knockturn Alley between two groups of shoppers. 

It was almost as if they didn't realize they were standing on the threshold of the most dangerous stretch of cobblestone in Great Britain. It might as well have been invisible to them, save for the gulps and occasional backward glances they were throwing over their shoulders.

He had a bad feeling about where Bellatrix might have taken you. Who knew what she might do just to get back at him for blowing up in his father's face. She would no doubt be facing the aftermath of her uncle's rage right about now. The idea of throwing you in the mix was just as comforting as a stake to the heart.

"Padfoot?" Remus said, looking back at his friend who had stopped dead in his tracks. "Is something the matter?"

"No," Sirius answered rather too quickly. "You two go ahead. There's something I want to check out first."

James was too far ahead to notice their hushed conversation and thankfully neither of them paid any mind to his suspicious behavior. "Suit yourself," Remus said, waving him off before jogging back up to keep pace with Prongs, who was loudly calling for you without a single regard for anyone else within earshot.