𝟏𝟎 - 𝐜𝐨𝐩𝐩𝐞𝐫 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐬𝐚𝐰𝐝𝐮𝐬𝐭

𝐒𝐞𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝐧𝐝, 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟓

Just wait until I tell James about this, Remus thought to himself, dashing down the corridor and knocking into other students with reckless abandon. His heart hadn't stopped beating out of his chest since he left the potion's classroom in a flurry. He hadn't even thought about his promise to wait for you.

Remus' eyes were narrowed as he brushed past a herd of underclassmen. His vision tunneled when he spotted Sirius and Peter lounging in the grassy courtyard up ahead. Sirius was halfway through a green apple that he had likely stolen from someone, his hair pulled away from his eyes in a low ponytail.

He spotted Remus in an instant, sniffing out his vengeful look as soon as he stepped foot into the courtyard. "Moony, my boy! Come sit!"

The request fell on deaf ears. Remus' hands were balled into tight fists on either side of his torso and he chose to ignore how his satchel had slid down his shoulder to fall awkwardly at his elbow. "You said Snivellus was harassing (Y/N) in Knockturn Alley?"

Sirius sat up and stopped chewing. "What of it?"

"They're potions partners this term."

"You're joking."

"I wish that I was."

Sirius ran a hand through his midnight black hair. "Merlin's—fuck!"

Peter looked between them with confusion swimming through his usually mousey expression. "What's happened?" he chirped, slowly closing his textbook.

"It seems that Snape's forgotten his place again," Sirius scoffed, tossing aside the core of his apple. "Thought I told the bastard not to get cocky this year."

Remus hadn't stopped pacing circles around his friends since he appeared in front of them. "I'll talk to Slughorn," he mumbled to himself. "I-I mean he won't listen to a word I say, but perhaps I can convince him that there's been a mistake?"

As he worked through a solution, Sirius stood up and tugged the sleeves of his dress shirt up around his elbows. "There are better ways to deal with injustices, Moony," he said with the click of his tongue. In two seconds flat, Peter scrambled to his feet. "Get Prongs," Sirius barked. "He's in Divination."

"Right," Peter nodded, sprinting off in the direction of the North Tower.

Remus licked his lips, stopping in front of Sirius. "I could kill him," he spat. "You should have seen the look he was giving her. Like she was the bloody fucking queen." Only he was allowed to look at you like that.

Sirius tossed his robes aside in a heap on the grass. He was thinking the exact same thing and he hadn't even been there. Something about Snape being present in your life didn't sit right with him. He couldn't stop picturing how dangerous it would be if you were surrounded by the Black sisters, Regulus, and Snape. It was a dangerous time to be a Slytherin whether or not you wanted to believe it.

Peter ran back into the courtyard with James hot on his tail. His rounded glasses were dangling off the bridge of his nose. "Alright," he clapped. James always got a little too excited about the prospect of delivering justice to a fellow classmate. "Whose head do I need to pummel into the dirt?"

Right on cue, you rounded the corner with Snape at your side. He'd opened up more to your presence since the start of first period. He was now smiling openly as you spoke, only ducking his head bashfully to hide his wider smiles. He muttered something to you that the boys couldn't hear, and you laughed into his shoulder.

Remus was fuming.

"After me, lads," James said, eyeing the pair like a ravenous hawk as he led the four marauders into the corridor. Remus could smell the fight brewing already. Copper, sawdust, and sea salt. It was bitter and briny, but he lived for it.

"Oi!" Prongs snapped, tilting his chin up with a quick whistle. His voice commanded the attention of everyone in and around the courtyard. Many recognized it as a sign that things were about to get messy and made themselves scarce.

You turned your head innocently to the sound of your brother's voice but he passed you without a word, not even stealing a glance in your direction as he took Severus by the collar and shoved him up against the nearest wall. "You get fine grades, Snivellus, but you're not very bright," he hissed.

"James!" You cried, beating desperately against his back despite Peter's attempts to haul you away from the scuffle. He was shooting Sirius some desperate looks but Padfoot was too entertained by the prospect of glaring wolfishly down at the Slytherin they had cornered.

This was everything he'd wanted to do back at Borgin and Burkes but couldn't.

"Stop! What are you doing to him?"

"Just having a bit of fun, (Y/N)," your brother grunted dismissively. If he thought you were going to just get up and walk away he was dead wrong. James was glad that you couldn't see the deadly sneer he was shooting down at the long-haired boy in his grasp. "Just some friendly roughhousing, 's all."

"Leave him alone, James! He hasn't done anything!"

"Just cause we keep interfering with his plans," Sirius chimed in, leaning his elbow against the wall beside Severus's head. "Isn't that right, Sniv?"

Their victim's face was even paler than before—almost blue—as he glowered at Sirius. "Never."

"That's what I thought. All talk until your Death Eater friends aren't around to save your skin."

"That's enough."

A steady voice called out over the sounds of struggle. You all turned to see Regulus standing at the end of the corridor. His satchel was slung over one shoulder, eyes half-lidded in blatant disinterest.

When he spotted you wrestling your way out of Peter's pathetic hold, his jaw tightened. "The bell for second period rang two minutes ago. Straight to class, all of you."

James' glare dissolved and he dropped Snape in favor of pushing up his glasses. The rest of the boys scurried off to collect their things for class. Sirius didn't even acknowledge his brother before turning away and marching back toward the courtyard.

You stuck your tongue out at James before rushing over to Severus, who was patting down and fixing the front of his uniform. "I'm so sorry about him," you squeaked. "He becomes an absolute fool when he's with them."

"I'm fine," he murmured, not meeting your eye. You bit the inside of your cheek. All the hard work you put into breaking down his walls was gone just like that. You thought he was about to say more when Regulus cleared his throat.

"Snape," he barked. "You were not excluded from my request."

Severus nodded and scampered off in the direction of the Great Hall for his free period. Before he left, something unspoken was shared between him and Reggie. Something akin to a warning. Not enjoying being the only one left in the hall, you turned on your heel away from the scene.

"And where are you going, Ms. Potter?"

Biting back a groan, you slowly spun around to meet your Head Boy's steely gaze. Regulus towered over you, casting his long shadow over your figure. He always seemed bigger than he really was when he was patrolling the corridors. The badge had given him more power than he knew what to do with.

"Transfiguration," you gulped. "I don't want to be late."

Even more late, you should say. You'd already missed the bell.

"Of course," he nodded. "Allow me to escort you."

"Oh, you don't have to do that." You tried to wave him off but to no avail. Before you knew it, you were walking side by side across the courtyard toward Professor McGonagall's classroom, completely unaware of the certain Slytherin boy still lingering from afar. 

(A/N: This has been in my drafts for so long. So. If you see any mistakes with spelling or anything like that please feel free to call me out! I want this to read well. Good night!)