The Breakup

Brainy was still reeling from the news the other Brainiac-5 had told him. He had to leave Nia...to protect her. That wouldn't make it hurt any less. According to his calculations, there was a ninety-nine percent chance Nia would be emotionally hurt by this decision, and a ninety-five percent chance that this would cause her to shed tears.

There was also a seventy-three percent chance he would lose her trust forever.

But maybe not. There were many variables he had possibly not considered for the last one. That didn't ease the fear that she would hate him after what he needed to do.

Brainy took a deep breath and knocked on the door of Nia's apartment. He had found her minutes after their first encounter and filed every detail about her into his mind after.

How could he have not? She was, simply put, beautiful, both inside and out. And so brave. Braver than him.

All of these thoughts rushed through his head as Nia opened the door. He opened his mouth to speak, but before he could, she pulled him into a tight embrace. Almost as if she knew what was about to happen. Maybe she had seen it in a dream?

But the glowing smile she gave him after made it clear she had no idea. And he was about to break her heart.

"So, how do you feel?" she asked enthusiastically. "Uninhibited?"

"Yes, something like that," he replied quietly, trying to smile. She always seemed to have a pun at the ready. It was adorable.

"You know, I'm really glad to see you so comfortable in your own skin," she said, leading him into her apartment. "It's all I ever really wanted for you," she added. "Just to be able to be yourself."

Brainy sighed. She wasn't making this easy for him. He didn't want to hurt her. To see the betrayal and confusion that would ultimately follow what must be done.

"And now I am," he replied. She smiled. "I can feel it. All throughout my body-the tips of my fingers."

He had to do it now. There was no way he could delay this.

"But now, some things are going to have to change, Nia," said Brainy.

She stepped closer, concerned. "Of course. Look Brainy, whatever you need, we'll work it out. Together." She cared so much, he didn't want to hurt her. But this was better than letting Lex kill her, along with the rest of the team.

He took a deep breath. Little boxes. "Together. Yes. That's-That's what has to change," he said. There. It was done.

Confusion showed on Nia's face. "What?"

He shoved the last of his feelings for her down.

"I can't be with you anymore." He said it as if she were unnecessary in his life. And hated it.

Nia took a step back, hurt written all over her face. "I don't understand," she whispered. A single tear fell down her cheek. "Who are you?" she asked.

"For the first time ever...myself," he replied somewhat coldly. The little boxes were full, too full. He turned and walked away as if he didn't care, but it was really so she couldn't see the tears forming in his eyes.

Brainy walked away from her apartment for the last time and rushed outside. There, he used his legion ring to fly high above the clouds. He finally let a sob escape him and the tears come. It would be worth it if it saved her from Leviathan and Lex, he told himself.

But even that didn't make it any easier. He flew to her window one last time. Not to stalk her, but to see how she handled it. It would hurt, but he wanted to know the extent of the damage he had caused. It would maybe help him feel again after acting so heartlessly.

Nia was curled up on the couch under a blanket. He could tell she was crying. Brainy wanted nothing more than to go back. Tell her he hadn't meant a word of what he had said. There was a sixty-four percent chance she would forgive him, and a thirty-five percent chance she would be too angry and heartbroken to let him in again.

It didn't matter. He would protect her, even if he had to act like he didn't care. He would keep her alive, even if he died in the process.

There was no time to waste. He had to gain Lex's trust in order to make this sacrifice worthwhile.