Fredric

So, for those who have read my fanfics will know how I feel about Fredric.  I'm here to explain my reasoning for my distaste for him.

To start with, I didn't hate Fredric at first.  In fact, I still can't say I hate him, I just hate the actions he made.

In the beginning of the series, I understood why he was like what he was and I realized that he just needed to learn to let Rapunzel breathe.  However, once he locked Rapunzel in the tower with freaking iron bars on her window, I was done giving him excuses.

And this was before I watched season 1 a second time.  When I rewatched the season, a lot of things I didn't notice at first suddenly became clear.  For instance, I didn't realize that he played part in terrorizing Varian before the fourteen year old turned villain.

Fredric had good intentions to protect his family, specifically, Rapunzel.  But there are times when you can take it too far.  One way is by literally locking them away.  Another is when you harm innocent people for the sake of keeping them away from your family.  And there are more ways to cross the line (pun intended), but I want to discuss these two in particular.  Two boundries that Fredric overstepped big time.

As a daughter with a close relationship with my father, I know what it's like to be sheltered and over protected. I love him for it too, and I know he's trying to what's best for me.

Fredric, by the end of season 1, has eventually made it to the point where he's no longer protecting Rapunzel.  Rather, he's no longer doing what's best for her, but doing what's best for himself without realizing it.  And he has very good reasons to want to protect Rapunzel, but he has a problem of not listening (which is dire to have communication with you're children and not just have them listen to you).

So Fredric basically imprison Rapunzel, which is absolutely awful; but the worst thing Fredric does is what he does to the people surrounding Rapunzel.

1. He took the sundrop flower after being warned what it would do to the kingdom.

Because of this, he decided to risk the lives of his kingdom for the sake of his wife and daughter.  Although he had good intentions to save two people, he also threw out the fact that he was willingly hurting good and innocent people for the sake of two.  Now if the majority kingdom had been in agreement with this descion, then it would be fine, but this was a hush, hush ordeal.  This act, I can forgive if it was the only time something like this happened.

He's hurting innocent people for the protection of Rapunzel.

2. Fredric killed people and was a tyrant king.

Although these people were criminals, they were given way too harsh of punishment, such as death.  Lady Caine's father is merely an example.  He was a petty thief, probably stealing for the sake of keeping his daughter alive.  Jail time was fine, but his death was uncalled for.  Fredric was a hypocrite to this if this was true.

3. He blames Varian, a mere child (his currently dead friend's son) for a crime he did not commit.

The series doesn't actually say this specifically, but the facts lead to it.  Fredric uses the rumor to give him the excuse to send the undercover guards to keep Varian and Rapunzel apart.  He did this because he read Rapunzel's diary, therefore learning that Varian had knowledge about the black rocks.  Thus, Varian was seen as a threat to Rapunzel's safety, even though he was not a threat at this time.

A little thought here too.  I blamed Rapunzel for not going to Varian directly after the storm, but she didn't leave because Fredric didn't let her.  He gave her the speech for the Griffin and the job of that one painting.  He did this to keep Rapunzel from going after Varian, so I can't exactly blame her since Fredric made it sound like both these events were important for the entire kingdom's greater good even though they actually weren't that important.

So he had no regards of helping Varian or even his own friend.  That's pretty bad.

4. He sends Cassandra away.

Since he read Rapunzel's diary, he learned that Cass was the reason she learned about the black rocks.  So he sends her off to a covenant (which doesn't end up playing out).  This, much like what he did with Varian but not as extreme, was to keep her away from Rapunzel, due to the black rocks.  Of course, this was under the agreement of the Captain of the guard.  However, in doing this, Cassandra's whole career that she wanted was ruined.  If this had played out, her dreams would have been utterly crushed as she was forced to live the life of a nun.  The life of a nun is something you should chose not be forced into, because once you commit yourself, there is basically no getting out.  Which is basically just unofficial locking Cassandra up.

So all this and what he does to Rapunzel a leads to my dislike of him.

Seaon 3 was wise to erase his memories.  This gave us a new start with Fredric's character, and I like him much better in that season.  He was fun and even a little relatable in the Queen of Hearts episode.

Anyways, that rant was much deeper than planned.

Next will be Nigel.

Please comment on what character you would like to see me do. 😃