Chapter 6

The Price of Love

Chapter 6

December 1941

~~ ~~

Sam made his way to the large gray stone wall at the end of Isabella's land. She had been staying with her brother and sister in law since the end of July nearly five months now when her father's health took a turn for the worst, she had agreed to stay with them "Momentarily" to help her mother care for him. He was proud of the changed she had made in her life, she seemed happy and joyful for the future. He admired her. And keeping to the promise he had made her months ago, he made his way to the stone wall. He had a notebook and pencil with him planning on leaving her a note. The two of them had been exchanging one note a day since Louis had told him Isabella was back home.

When he arrived at the large wall, he noticed a little piece of paper sticking out of a small hole that was nearly eye level with him. he unfolded the small paper and noticed Isabella's neat handwriting.

Sam,

You won't believe the day I had... Mother attempted to bring up the subject of Mr. old man Stanley. I told her no I wouldn't be discussing anything about him. I ignored her but she continued to bring up the subject. I have no plans of marrying someone I do not love. I have class tomorrow and then my shift at the café lasts until 8pm- I would be thankful if you could walk me home- to Ernie and Nellie's house.

Isabella

Sam smiled to himself as he read her note. He had realized he liked her a lot, although he hadn't told Isabella of his feelings, Louis knew of his feelings. He encouraged them stating that they would be brothers and he wouldn't have to worry so much about Isabella.

Sam was happy for Louis' blessing but felt as though he couldn't tell Isabella of his feelings. He was worried she wouldn't return his feelings and then he would lose a very good friend and important person in his life. He would indeed prefer her in his life as a friend than to lose her and never hear from her again.

Isabella

He smiled as he wrote her name

There is nothing I would love more than to walk you home. I need to speak with you tonight, there is something important I need to tell you...

Sam

He had been meaning to tell her for nearly a week now that he and Louis had signed up for the Army. After Pearl Harbor how could they not? He didn't want Isabella to worry and he did hope that she would write him while he was away.

Louis had suggested taking her out dancing tonight, the two of them could show up in their uniforms and break the news to her. Sam didn't care for that idea, she would take it as too big of a shock. No surely, he should break it to her on their walk.

They both left for basic training in two weeks now and then they would be sent overseas. He was frightened but he felt it was his duty to his country to fight. He truly felt this was the right thing to do.

An idea occurred to him as he noticed one of the stones were loose in the wall. It came out easily revealing a small crevice, opening his note book he wrote another letter. Incase something happened to him he would ask Louis to tell Isabella where to look.

Dear Isabella,

My heart has and always will belong to you. I am sorry I didn't tell you earlier. I just didn't know how.

If you're reading this it most likely means I am gone, my only regret in this world was not telling you how I feel, not being with you, not holding your hand and not being yours.

I think you are a smart, caring, fun, and beautiful woman and you deserve the best life has to offer. Please promise me you will never settle for less. Promise me you will only marry for love and promise me that even if it means leaving your family you will make the choice to be who you are and to live happily.

I only wish I could have gotten to see who you became.

Yours forever,

Sam Wilder

He took off his best watch and put it in with the letter. He wanted her to have it incase anything happened to him. it was the only thing he had of value. He carefully tucked away the letter and watch and gentle placed the stone back in place. He made his way back to work, his mind however remained on the beautiful dark-haired girl he would leave behind.

** **

Sam looked over at Isabella, she slipped her small hand into the crook of his arm he couldn't help but smile at that. He felt genuinely comfortable around her and the two of them had built a wonderful friendship in the last five months.

"Your letter said you had something to tell me?"

He took a deep breath and looked at her again, this time he stopped walking so he could face her.

"I enlisted Belle," he told her "I ship out for basic in two weeks."

Isabella's face dropped, she looked concerned and sad and Sam felt badly for having waited to tell her but based on her reaction he was glad he hadn't told her- he didn't like to see her sad, especially if he was the cause of this.

"Promise you will write me?" she asked, her voice came out much smaller than when she confidently spoke

"Of course," he said quickly. He didn't tell her Louis would be leaving too but felt that Louis should tell her himself.

She took off a small necklace she wore all the time in fact he was sure he had never seen her without it. She put it in his hand and beamed up at him

"So, this way I can be with you wherever you go." He inspected the small heart shape locket, it had flowers engraved into it, and in the middle, it was engraved with the year 1922. He flipped it to the back and saw that her name was engraved neatly "Isabella Verity Price"

"My father had this made for my mother when I was born... I was their only daughter and my mother had planed on giving this too me when I was sixteen. She said I could pass it down to my own children..." she blushed before continuing "I can get a picture taken to put in there."

He opened the locket then and was surprised to see it was empty.

"I would like that very much... Thank you I will keep it with me always."

She smiled at him again, and his breath caught. There was a small moment of silence between them as they started to walk again.

"Promise you will find your way back?" she asked him placing her arm within his once more.

"I will always come back to you." He stated, and he meant it. Even if he was only her friend, he wanted to have Isabella in his life.

He stopped again once they came upon Ernest and Nellie's house.

"Goodnight" he said to her quietly.

"Goodnight Sam." She replied, she leaned forward ever so slightly and placed a kiss on his cheek. Her lips were plump and felt very soft on his skin. His heart raced and he found himself wishing he could taste her lips with his, he wouldn't though. He wouldn't make a move until he was sure she felt the same way he did.

He smiled at her and made sure she got in to her brothers house before he turned away and walked the short distance home. 

~~~ Author's note~~~

SORRY!! I have been MIA again lol but I have the BEST news (For me!) My mother in law is FINALLY going back home! (after a year! she got here March of 2020) thank goodness! I honestly couldn't live with her any longer for my own mental health I know my sweet Hubby was feeling the same way!!  I just hope she actually does it! her tickets are booked but I am fearful she will come up with an excuse to not go (as she has been doing for the last year!) She is supposed to leave 3/5/21 so everyone wish for the best! My job has been crazy busy, I've been helping out at the covid vaccine clinic for overtime and by the time I get home I am just beat. sorry guys! hope you like the update! 

Vote and comment

KC