Chapter 8

The Price of Love

Chapter 8

~~ ~~

The day for Isabella started out as any other, she helped Nellie feed the kids in the morning, cleaned up after breakfast, and then made her way for her shift at the diner. She was due to leave in less than two weeks with Red cross, and much to her surprise they were sending her overseas and though she was scared, she was excited about a new chapter in her life.

The day however somehow felt a little off to her, she spilt coffee before serving her first customer, she dropped a plate, she just had the weird feeling that might follow an off day. She tried to make light of it by talking to the other waitresses, and by writing to Sam. But she couldn't shake that feeling.

She prayed that her brothers, and Sam were safe and that wasn't the reason to her feeling.

She tried to enjoy her time, she only had a handful of shifts left at the diner before she left to help the boys of seas. When her day was done, she grabbed her coat and purse and made her way to the door. Her heels echoed as she left the building and she instinctively looked around her feeling as though she was being watched.

She pulled her coat closer and crossed the street walking the short distance to Nellie and Ernie's house. But she wouldn't even make it a block before she felt a pain in the back of her head. She had been hit by something and couldn't comprehend to look behind her as her world started to fade. The smell of cigarettes hit her nose and everything in her told her to run away.

But she couldn't, she tried moving her legs and arms but instead she wanted to give in to the darkness that had engulfed her. She felt herself being carried and hear a very familiar voice? Was that her mother?

She fought against the darkness, feeling dizzy and as though she couldn't focus, she pushed hard against whatever held onto her.

A memory of Sam floated through her head, him smiling down at her as they danced, his eyes mirroring that of a precious jade stone. She felt some strength in that. She was able to open her eyes and focus them, she was in a car. She heard her mother- and was that Mr. Stanley? She quietly set up and opened the door, jumping from the moving vehicle.

She rolled and stood as soon as she could. Dashing her way into the trees. She wasn't far from her parent's house! Why on earth would her own mother kidnap her? luckily, she knew this land like the back of her hand. She made her way to the thickest of the trees that set just behind the stone wall. She would run there take a breath and then run back to town. Her parents never went to that old wall, nor did they know she often went there.

She moved as fast as her feet would take her. Adrenaline running through her veins. She followed the familiar path stopping only when she reached the wall. Thankfully this path was far too thick for an automobile to follow; she doubted Mr. Stanley could keep up and she knew for a fact her mother could barely run. She had arthritis in her legs.

She paused only for a second at the wall, the moonlight shining down on the wall and she noticed a stone out place, reaching for it she gasped when it moved easily and was even more surprised to see a watch and a letter. She couldn't make out the words in the darkness, but she recognized the watch to be Sam's. she quickly put both in her dress pocket before willing herself to run again.

She was sore, and so dizzy she worried she would faint- or vomit.

She ran as fast and as far as she could, hearing Mr. Stanley yell after her made her move faster than she thought she could.

She refused to give in to these insane people! Soon she would be in another country far away and safe from her mother.

She turned quickly deciding to stop and hide at the Raines' home. Her younger brother Marty was friends with the Raines' only son John. She pulled at the door thankful it was unlocked and quickly stepped into a kitchen.

Joanie Raines stopped what she was doing and looked at her with confusion in her pale eyes.

"Isabella Price?" she asked, "Are you alright?"

"I am truly sorry to impose on you like this... I need you to hide me from my Mother and Mr. Stanley- they've just tried to kidnap me from the diner!" Isabella said, knowing she was speaking very quickly, she just hoped Joanie would understand, and would Help her.

Joanie's eyes got wide she nodded slowly.

"I don't like to listen to gossip- but I've heard things about your mother planning a wedding" she shook her head "My John is away at basic training... you can stay in his room."

Isabella felt relieved. She put her hand up to her hair feeling she must look a sight.

"Come now, let's get you cleaned up" Joanie said as she took her through the Livingroom and to the end of the hallway to the bathroom. She started a bath and left to get a first aid kit.

Isabella looked at herself in the mirror, her hair looked like a rat's nest! And her make up had smeared. She was a sight!

she then remembered the note she had put in the pocket of her blue work dress she first pulled the watch out that belonged to Sam and then the letter

Dear Isabella,

My heart has and always will belong to you. I am sorry I didn't tell you earlier. I just didn't know how.

If you're reading this it most likely means I am gone, my only regret in this world was not telling you how I feel, not being with you, not holding your hand and not being yours.

I think you are a smart, caring, fun, and beautiful woman and you deserve the best life has to offer. Please promise me you will never settle for less. Promise me you will only marry for love and promise me that even if it means leaving your family you will make the choice to be who you are and to live happily.

I only wish I could have gotten to see who you became.

Yours forever,

Sam Wilder

Isabella felt the tears fall from her eyes as she read the letter, did Sam not think he would come back home? did he really mean this or was this a soldier's fear? A fear of not having anyone to love? no that didn't seem right. Sam was a strong independent man. Her heart raced as she thought that the words must be true. But then why didn't he tell her before he left? why wouldn't he want to make a promise to her before going off to such a danger?

Did she feel the same way? She wanted to deny that but deep down knew that there was something more than friendship between them. She suddenly felt faint but realized it was not from the letter. Her head pounded from pain and she reached her hand to the back of her head, gasping when she looked at her hand to see blood.

She had been hit with something earlier and nearly lost consciousness she had to have a concussion from this. She sighed and wondered if she should go to the hospital for this?

Joanie returned with some bandages in hand she tended to her head wound.

"My John once hurt his head like this playing football... Isabella- perhaps you might consider going to the police about this."  

Isabella didn't know what to do, she wanted to be happy to be sure and there was no telling what her mother might do to ensure her own wealth. She nodded agreeing that this was best.

Joanie set to work and together Isabella and Joanie went to the police.

Isabella knew her parents would never speak to her again after this, but she also knew that something had to be done to ensure her own safety.  

Author's note

I know I say this often but I am so sorry for the long wait on this update! at work there are usually only 3 of us when there used to be 7 lol so I've just been so exhausted! but finally we have a little break in calls and work so I was able to sit down long enough to write a chapter! If you like it please vote and comment. 

I hope everyone is happy and healthy! here in Colorado we're finally not having to wear masks so much and it is so freeing to be able to breath again when working out lol and I don't know about you but it almost feels wrong since we've been wearing the masks so long! 

XO