♛ 2 ♛

Though she rarely spoke on it, Alexandra loved gowns. One of her favorite past times as a child was going into town to a gown shop. She would always try on all the dresses she wanted and the seamstresses loved dressing her up. But this visit is much more important.

Attending with her into town were two guards and Beatrice, Alexandra's personal maid since she was born.

"What about yellow?"

Beatrice scrunches her wrinkled face, "No no, she wore yellow during Christmas."

"Red?"

"To much of an intimidating color don't you think dear?"

Alexandra chuckles at Beatrice's retorts, "I suppose."

"What are you laughing about? This is very important! You must have a gown that is as beautiful as you!"

The Princess puts a hand to her chin, "What about blue?"

Both Beatrice and the seamstress seem to be in sync.

"Perfect!"

The seamstress scurries away to get her measurement tools and Beatrice looks at the guards standing behind Alexandra's chair.

"How am I supposed to talk to you with these bloody men breathing down your neck?"

The Princess chuckles again, "Stand by the entrance outside."

"Yes your highness."

The two guards clank away in their armor and Beatrice sits in the chair across from Alexandra.

"How are you my dear?"

"Fine."

"Are you sure? It's only been a few days since your fathers death-"

"You knew our relationship, if you could even call it one."

"Yes, you're right." Beatrice smiles, "Well, what about the festival. You'll have quite the pick of a husband."

Alexandra rolls her eyes, "Oh, please. I'm only marrying for the throne. I'm mature enough to not swoon over some boy."

"You say that until you see them. I hear these Princes are the most handsome in Europe."

"Aren't you supposed to be teaching me about looking underneath the surface? That looks aren't everything."

"Yes that is true, but obviously I don't need to teach you that, you already know it yourself."

The seamstress runs back out with her measuring tape. Alexandra stands up and the seamstress goes to work.

__________

The seamstress moved quickly and the Princess was out of the shop in an hour. She won't see her finished gown for another three days, the night of the welcoming ball.

Alexandra and Beatrice walk through the streets arms linked, the guards right behind them. The town outside the palace gates has always been lively. She never truly knew her father, but she did know that he treated the people fairly. Like in a fairytale children play in the cobblestone streets, young couples look at the flower stands.

A ball rolls in front of the Princess. She stops as a boy runs up. As soon as he realizes who is in front of him his eyes widen and he bows.

"Good evening, your highness!"

Alexandra smiles and curtsies back, "Are you playing a game of football?"

The boy stands up straight and looks back to his friends who are also staring in shock.

"Um, uh-yes your highness!"

"I used to be quite the player as a child, you know."

"Really?"

Alexandra picks up her dress slightly to expose her shoes, "Let's see if I can kick as well as I remember."

The boy smiles and runs back over to his friends ready to receive the ball. The Princess furrows her eyebrows in focus and takes a step back. Beatrice let's go of her arm. Alexandra takes a step and kicks the ball. She smiles to herself proudly as the ball goes flying through the air. She's still got it.

The children run for the object and the Princess goes back to walking with Beatrice.

"Every day you seem more like your mother, dear."

Alexandra smiles, "I know."

__________

A/N
I feel like this was boring! I swear things will start picking up next chapter. Anyway hope you're all staying safe out there! :)