Valkyrae I

"Glad to have you back." Poki said, shaking Rae's hand again. "Especially after that...incident."

Rae groaned, remembering what had happened a few months prior. Toast and her had a massive fight, leading to Rae resigning her position in a fit of anger. Rae had been going about solo for a while, but she decided to resume her position in the cartel.

"Well, at least I can avoid him for a while." Rae said. "Sometimes I just wanna take a hit on him."

The door swung open to the central meeting room, and Sykunno carrying a potted plant and Corpse entered. Sykunno laughed with Corpsen. "The plant was dying, Corpse, of course I had to bring him home! After all, I-" Sykunno paused abruptly as he spotted Rae. 

Rae looked over to Sykunno and smirked, raising her eyebrow.

Sykunno dropped his potted plant, with Corpse barely catching it. "Rae?" Sykunno said. "C-Capo Poki? What's going on?"

Poki rolled her eyes, and nudged Rae. "You handle them, I'm going to tell Toast." 

"Gotcha." Rae replied. Rae turned back to Sykunno. "Hey Sykunno, how've you been?"

"Rae, what are you doing here?" Sykunno asked, puzzled.

"Isn't it obvious?" Rae sighed. "I got rehired. Turns out you can never have enough muscle on the payroll." Rae glanced at Corpse. "Although I guess you already know that, huh?"

"Hey Corpse." Rae nodded to the masked man. "I heard you got picked up, but I didn't realize it was these guys." 

"I'm...on a trial period." Corpse replied.

Rae snorted. "Honeymoon phase. Got it."

"Wait, but-" Sykunno interjected. "Rae, I thought you hated this place! You said it tied you down."

"Yeah, well things change." Rae responded. "Me going solo meant old grudges reappearing and now that I didn't have you watching my back anymore it made it even more-"

"You missed me?!" Sykunno asked, covering his mouth with his hand.

"I did not say that, but as I was saying..." Rae said. "I'm working under Capo Poki now. Personal executioner. Toast doesn't know yet, but he will and with how Poki works with him, who knows."

Rae continued. "Maybe we'll work together on a mission again-OOFT!" Sykunno slammed into her in a tight hug. Rae smiled in Sykunno's embrace. "Yeah yeah, don't worry. I'm not going anywhere." Rae eyed Corpse standing awkwardly, third-wheeling, as he munched on some Famous Amos cookies, watching Sykunno's new plant.

"Right!" Sykunno said, pulling back from the hug. "Me and Corpse should probably go. We just got back from our newest mission, so we gotta file a bunch of paperwork."

"As should I." Rae responded. "I gotta go set up my office."

"Hey!" Corpse exclaimed. "Why didn't I get to set up my office yet?!"

"I've been employed by the cartel before. They know how I work already. No need for me to go through orientation again." Rae explained. "Besides, I'm not hired as an enforcer. I'm hired as Capo Poki's personal executioner, meaning I'm an overseer, so I get office priority over you."

"Huh." Corpse said as Sykunno and Corpse left to go to Sykunno's office. "It sounds like you used to know her."

"Rae?" Sykunno asked. "Oh right, she used to be my partner in crime before I got promoted to overseer. We were inseparable. We even had our own kill key word, "Babushka"!"

"Why didn't you kill your enemies yourself?" Corpse asked.

"Are you kidding me?" Sykunno replied unlocking his office door. "Oftentimes luring out the target is just as important as killing them. You try to avoid fights when you can, meaning you don't want to shoot him in the middle of a crowd, you kill him in a place where you can escape easily and without detection."

"Like I said, find them, lure em' out, Babushka, and Blam!" Sykunno finger gunned Corpse. "Those were the good old days."

"Why'd she leave then?" Corpse asked looking at the paperwork on Sykunno's desk.

"She...had a fight with Toast. She sort of quit after that, and broke her ties with the Cartel. She asked me to come with her, but I decided to stay." Sykunno said as they pushed the door open to Sykunno's office. "We hadn't stayed in contact for months, and today she came back out of the blue."

Sykunno turned his back. "I gotta go report to Capo Toast, so file the paperwork while I'm gone!"

Corpse grumbled as he eyed the stack of papers he needed to fill out, as Sykunno left the room.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N

This ain't a corpsekunno story, sorry if you're into that. I'm a straight male, so writing gay stuff would be kinda hard for me to do, and I don't like the idea of shipping two straight guys with each other. I do ship Raekunno though, ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)