Chapter 13 - A demon and a nephilim work together.

Chapter 13 - A demon and a nephilim work together. No this is not the start of a joke even though it sounds like one.

(again, the Chapter title is too long and I refuse to shorten it :D)

Avery closed the circle as soon as Jasper and Hargamon vanished, blowing out the candles, before stepping out of the chalk circle.

»Where did they go?«, she wanted to know, heart beating out of her chest. To her relief, Aristes didn't look any less frantic.

»To the Underworld probably. I can fly us«, Aristes said, ready to jump out of the window right this second. But Avery hesitated.

»I have a better idea. We are going to take my car. They have my tools in case we need them. Besides, I don't think you plan on flying both of us back here, after we get away.« Aristes hesitated for a second before he nodded.

»Good point. You're driving, though.«

Luckily it was already late enough for them to not get stuck in any sort of traffic. Fifteen minutes later, they were standing in front of Batest, waiting for the demon to clear Avery. He looked at her with an intense stare without saying anything for so long that Aristes started to nervously jump from one leg to another.

»I cannot let you downstairs«, Batest said finally. »You are a nephilim. Divine entities of any kind aren't allowed downstairs.«

»You what?«, Aristes exclaimed in surprise, staring at Avery with wide eyes, who looked like she wanted to hide behind her hair

»Yeah. Didn't know either like a month ago«, she said abashedly.

»Do you know what that means?«, he asked, grabbing her arms in excitement.

»That we two are something like arch enemies by nature?«, Avery suggested and Aristes scoffed.

»What? Bullshit. No, it means that you can fix this!« Aristes let go of her and pulled out a small, intricate looking knife from his pocket. It looked dull and lackluster.

»Is that what I think it is?«, Avery asked, breathless and Aristes nodded.

»Probably.«

»Selene said it was broken.«

»Not broken«, he disagreed. »Just empty like a battery. And you can load it up again.« Avery looked at the demon when he pressed the knife into her hands. The blade immediately started glowing in soft, golden light, like someone switched on a light bulb and Avery was the power source.

»Is that... my divine energy?«, she asked, sounding surprised and a bit shocked and Aristes nodded.

»Exactly.«

»Do I need to understand how that works?« Aristes smiled in sympathy.

»Not really.«

»Good. Because I don't«, Avery sighed and pocketed the knife. She then turned to Batest, leaning against the chest-high counter. »Please let me in. It's not like I want to stay. We just have to get my friend out of there before that crazy demon of yours eats his soul«, Avery complained, staring Batest down like she did with every person standing in the way of the things she wants.

»I am very sorry, but you are only allowed to go upstairs«, Batest said unimpressed or simply not interested.

»Excuse me?«, Avery stuttered. »Upstairs? As in heaven?«