Giant

About a month ago, I got to meet my mom's 'mystery boyfriend.' I was so happy and excited for her. Since dad died I knew she was more depressed than she let on. Before I met him my mom had said, "now darling, I want you to have an open mind about this."

"Of course mom." I give her a bright smile and she pulls me into a short hug.

I may have said that I'd have an open mind back then, but that was before I knew what that had implied. 

I walk from my room, down the staircase, to the dinning room and into the kitchen where Lewis resides. The giant mountain of a man sat at the island table scrolling through his phone, with a mug of coffee in hand. I hoped that I would be able to grab a bowl of cereal and head back to my room without Lewis noticing me. I didn't.

"Good morning Lia :)" his cheery voice rings in my ears and I roll my eyes.

"Lewis." My voice was emotionless. I climb the long staircase up to the counter where a human kitchen set sat. It looked as if it were made for dolls in the over-sized house. After pouring my cereal I decide that I'm too hungry to walk three miles back to my room. I plop down on a cushioned seat and pull my phone out. "Quit staring at me, Lewis."

"Sorry." silence is broken when Lewis speaks again. "Lia, did you want to g-"

"No," I cut him off quickly, already knowing what he would say.

"You didn't let me finish."

"I know," I don't so much as glance up from my phone screen. I hear a loud sigh.

"Would you like to go for dinner or ice cream after school?" He asks.

"Hmmm... I actually think I'm busy after school. I have a test in every class tomorrow, I'll need some time to study." Again my voice holds no emotion.

"Come on Lia, I'm trying to be  nice okay? I don't want you to hate me."

"I don't hate you Lewis," I look at him with a sweet smile.

"You don't?"

"No, I'd use the word 'loathe.'"