Monster

"Jack!" the giant boy ran from the school building into the parking lot (which was considerably empty). Jack was one of the three giants going to our school which made fitting in a little tough. "Jack, please stop I can't go that fast! I sprinted across the over-sized lot trying in vain to catch up with him. When I finally got to him, he had his head laying against his car as he stared into nothing. His black hair hung down partially in front of his eyes, I didn't miss the tears that trickled down his pale cheeks. "Jack?" He ignored me. I placed my minuscule atop his.

"Please don't touch me," he tried to pull his hand away, but I held tight to his finger. He could still pull his hand away, but he was just being nice. "Why?"

"Because I might hurt you," he replied.

"Stop being stupid."

"It's not stupid, Alice."

"Yes, it is. Quit feeding into everything they tell you. It's stupid." Jack lets out an aggravated sigh "I can't just pretend it doesn't hurt, 'ms. I don't care what anyone thinks.' They called me a monster, Alice."

"You're not a monster."

"That's not what everyone else says," he counters. "The worst thing about it is that I know they're right," his voice cracks at the last part. His eyes had long glazed over.

"What makes you a monster Jack, being big?"

"No, the fact that I can kill you without trying."

"Well I'm still alive aren't I?" I counter

"For now." Yeesh, that's dark

"What is that supposed to mean?!"

"Nothing! Just- I- I didn't mean it that way it's just... I could hurt you or worse, without trying. It scares me."

"But you haven't and as long as I am alive I will not allow you to run around paranoid about what could happen," my voice is both stern and light. "But they're right to say I'm a monster, Alice. I don't blame them for being afraid of me. I would be too."

"Why is it only the opinions of the people who hate you that matter? Why doesn't my opinion matter to you?" He completely ignores my question and asks his own.

"Are you afraid of me?"

"No," I answer. He turns his head down to me,

"Can you honestly look at me and I say I don't scare you at least a little?"

"No." I avert my gaze from him ashamed. He did scare me, sometimes, but could you blame me? He was a little over eighty feet, it could be terrifying sometimes. "That's what I thought," his voice is low, I'd think he was angry if I didn't know him any better. The continuation of light sniffles breaks my heart. "I-I mean sometimes you can be slightly intimidating, but uuhhh..." I see him smear his hand across his face in an attempt to dry his tears. I was only making this worse. "Yes, you do scare me sometimes, but I hang around you because I like you okay? You are honestly the best friend I've ever had."

"You don't mean that."

"Yes, I do." His huge eyes find my tiny form and I can't help but smile when I spot the slightest grin on his face. "You know what else?" He looks down at me inquisitively,

"what?"

"as far as I know, I'm not friends with any monsters :)"