Tiberius

Part Three: Tiberius

Rolling his cigar to the left side of his mouth, Tiberius McConnel walked around the last corner of his beat as a town guard of Northmere. 'A lovely little spot to forget or be forgotten', he though sardonically to himself. He adjusted his armor which felt heavy tonight. He was tired. After the king and queen had left everything had gone to ruin. He had had to take on extra duties as the guards were diminished, first by the ruler's entourage, then by the rescue parties, and finally by the deserters who didn't want to work under Prince Thaddeus's rule any longer. Tiberius removed his cigar and spat on the ground as he thought of their interrim ruler. 'The spoiled brat son of a...' He shook his head, not completing the thought. Up ahead he saw the light's of the tavern twinkling in the gathering darkness of evening. 'I deserve a pint...or two....maybe more.' he told himself happily as he headed for the familier building.

Even though Tiberius had only been in Northmere a short time he had already established himself as a regular at the Elephant Tavern. The smiling barmaid Effie greeted him as he entered by pushing a large ale down the bar and into his hands. He finished it with a quick gulp and she had another ready, "Hard night?" she asked him, her freckled face alight with a pleasant smile.

"You have no idea," Tiberuis finished half of the second drink.

"Of course you are here already, you haven't even reported in yet," The familiar voice of Thokk, Tiberius's young half-orc partner came from behind the man. He turned to see Thokk shaking his head disapprovingly.

"Look Thokk, Captain Geoff isn't here and I am off duty," he swallowed another healthy gulp of his drink. "Have one?" he nodded at the ale in his ands.

Thokk sighed and shook his head, "No, but I am hungry," He walked over to an empty table and sat down. Tiberius winked at Effie and joined Thokk at the table.

Thokk sighed and looked up at Tiberius's slightly bloodshot green eyes, "What do you want?" He asked, a little irritated at the intrusion.

"Look Sock," he said, deliberately mispronouncing Thokk's name. "We are partners, we should be able to talk, maybe even drink together. Dontcha think?"

Thokk shook his head, his greenish skin looking a little orange in the tavern's firelight, "No I have to endure you while we are on duty, after that we can part company."

Tiberius smiled and leaned forward onto the table, his hands clasped aroung his mug, "See, I think you like me but you're afraid to admit it." He swallowed the last of his ale in one quick gulp.

Thokk remained silent, he began to eat when Effie brought his food, not looking up at Tiberius. Tiberius smiled and sat back in his chair, he couldn't help but notice when the door opened and two of the mousefolk from the edge of town entered. They spoke to Effie then jumped up on a large table and drew rapiers, preparing to fence. Tiberius had seen the routine before but he found it entertaining as the two tiny figures danced and whirled, a flurry of blades, fur and tails. He smiled thinly and gave a couple of claps when the performance ended, turning his attention once more to annoying his partner.

Tiberius had served in the war, he was even decorated for it, though not as many times as he claimed. He bore the scars to prove it, though again, not as many as he claimed. He found himself now, here, in this tiny town, a member of a meager guard force, partnered with a kid. What has his life come to? He thought back to choices, mistakes some of them, made in his past...but that was a dark place to be. He nodded at Effie who brought him another ale. He hadn't yet taken a sip when the doors flew open and Captain Geoff entered. He looked rough, his face and clothes smeared with blood. He saw he and Thokk and walked over to them. Leaning on the back of a chair he steadied himself before speaking.

"I thought I would find you here," he addressed Tiberius with this, a disapproving look at his glass of ale. He looked at Thokk then and nodded. His gaze shifted between the two of them as he talked, "I was patroling the forest with Keith and Louisa when we were ambushed. Something attacked from the bushes, I didn't get a clear view of them. They cut down Louisa and took Keith before I could stop them." At this he unconsciously grabbed his arm which was badly slashed by something. "I carried Louisa to Doc McGill's place. He is doing what he can for her. Keith may be dead...but if he isn't...I will need help getting him back."

"You say they attacked out of the bushes?" Tiberius asked, wanting more information. "And you din't get a look at any of them?"

Geoff shook his head, "No...I think I killed a few but they drug off the dead ones before I got a look."

Thokk nodded, digesting the information, "We need to go after them, now."

"Not alone though," Tiberius, his drink temporarily forgotten began thinking of how to get the tactical advantage on an unknown enemy with only three fighters, one of whom was already badly injured. "We are going to need help."

Thokk nodded in agreement and began scanning the room, mostly full of farmers, tinkerers, shopkeepers...not warriors.

Tiberius stood and shouted loudly, "Quiet!! Now I need some volunteers to help us find and rescue Keith June. He was taken by something tonight and time is running out! Who will help us? Who can fight?"

A young woman seemingly appeared from the shadows at the end of the bar. Tiberius recognized her as Raven Bladesong. She had come into town a little after he did but no one knew much about her. He always noted who looked suspicious, dangerous or valuable in a fight and he knew her to carry two blades at her sides at all times, but he'd never seen her use them.

"I will go with you and help if I can," Raven said quietly, her hands resting on the hilts of her rapiers in a casual but Tiberius knew, a ready stance.

"How can you help?" he asked, trying to see what the girl was made of, "What can you do?"

In an expert, practiced move, Raven drew her blades, performed a flourish of deadly accuracy then resheathed the thin rapiers in one quick movement. Tiberius felt a little surprise at the expertise the young woman showed and before he could stop himself a bit of that surprise showed in his features. Thokk smirked at this uncharacteristic display.

"Well..uh, glad to have you...Raven, right?" Tiberius said a bit haltingly.

"Raven Bladesong," she nodded, "We may need some more help. "She nodded over at one of Northmere's most striking residents. A blue skinned, silver haired young man who was sitting by himself, playing with a wooden puzzle that seemed to be ever present on his person. "He is a spellcaster, he would be useful I think."

Tiberius nodded, "Yeah, that might come in handy." He didn't use magic himself but he'd seen both the good, and bad of what having a spellcaster on your side could do. Raven walked over to the boy Tiberius knew only as Cirrus and began talking to him. He saw the captain talking to one of the mousefolk and internally rolled his eyes. 'What good would a two foot mouse be in battle?' He slowly shook his head, this was going to be interesting.