Bellemere

CHAPTER THREE: BELLEMERE

Clanging of metal on metal rang out in the cool morning air! Swords clashed, came apart and clashed again! The battle furious and fast paced. Twin sisters, Indira and Ingrid Ulfhild stood back to back, fighting three bandits that had just robbed their caravan. Ingrid, hood pushed back, long blonde hair in loose braids, face set in a grim smile, stopped an arching attack from a dagger with her sword. She elbowed back a little and bumped her sister Indira who took the cue, sun and plunged her sword into the bandit's chest. He fell to the side, the wound instantly fatal. "Give up yet?" Ingrid growled softly at the remaining two.

The bandit to her left snarled, "I will not be beat by a couple of women!" His dirty teeth bared, he came in for another try at the woman who had been deflecting his attacks like he was a new hand at swordplay. He swung his heavy greatsword at her head and cried out in anger as it was deflected yet again.

Indira took the opportunity of the bandit being distracted and quickly struck a small flint against a steel she carried on a small chainat her waist and lit up her oiled blade. Fire lept off the rapier and she spun in an elegant circle, blocking the third bandit's dagger attack with the flaming blade. Smiling coyly, she then disarmed the ill prepared attacker and watched as he ran off, dropping his loot in his haste.

Ingrid saw the knife coming at her side in her periphery and threw herself back in a deft arch, springing back up and plunging her sword into the man's chest. "Should have left when you had the chance," she whispered to the dying man as he fell slowly to his knees and finally keeled over as death overtook him. Sighing at the waste of life, Ingrid wiped the blood from her blade and resheathed it. She heard horses behind her and quickly put up her deep hood, choosing to remain as hidden as possible until she was certain who was behind her. Spinning around she saw a motley crew of riders approaching. A half orc in armor led the group, he had on a wide brimmed hat, leather riding boots and chain mail. He had a sword and shield in hand. Sitting on his horse was a small, two foot tall mousefolk girl with a ponytail, her hands holding a small bottle with a reddish liquid inside. Next to them was a light blue skinned young man with silver hair, he looked impressed. At the back was a woman with pale skin, a dark hood pulled up, the end of her black braid over her right shoulder.

The twins came together and faced the newcomers, Indira allowed the flames to peter out on her rapier. She looked at her sister and sighed, she could see that Ingrid was hiding in her hood. She was going to be cagey and that could make any conversation with these unknown's difficult. She tossed her long dark hair back over her shoulders and held out a hand in a peaceful gesture. "Hello, my name is Indira. Who are you?"

"Um...do you need any help? Healing? My name is Eda," The young mousefolk girl said as she slipped off the horse and approached Indira and Ingrid. She held out the vial and smiled pleasantly.

Indira smiled, bowing slightly at the waist to see more at eye level with Eda, "Thank you, we are unhurt. This is my sister..." She left the end of her sentence, wanting to see what Ingrid would say.

"Alo," Ingrid said simply. "My name is Alo."

Thokk dismounted and held out a hand, "Name's Thokk. We saw you fighting, everything ok?" He doffed his hat politely then placed it back on his head.

Raven approached and also dismounted, "I am Raven Bladesong, this is Cirrus," she motioned at the silent spellcaster. "do you need assistance? Are there more of them?" She indicated the bandit's corpses on the ground.

"No, no more," Ingrid said as she began gathering up a small sack of small valuable items that the bandits had dropped.

"They came into our camp, stole a bunch of stuff and tried to get away with it. They didn't count on us being so quick on their trail," Indira said in explanation. "That," she nodded at the sack of items in her sister's hand, "Is our entire caravan's livelihood. Without that a lot of us go hungry."