Chapter VII

Ursula looked down at the ring perched on her finger. Many emotions ran rampant as she tried to figure out why Ivar placed it there of all places.

If it had been still 2018, Ursula would immediately assume that Ivar had given her a promise ring or had been proposing to her. However, here in the Viking era, such a thing as engagement or wedding bands are only exchanged during the wedding. Not before.

She definitely didn't want to drop that on Ivar especially after just learning that she's from the future. It had been shocking enough as it was and until he expressed a desire to know more, well, she is going to give him some space and time to process it all.

Her hands halted as the sounds of raucous laughter, thundering footsteps, and the familiar sound of Ivar moving across the ground, made their way to the longhouse. Ursula sat in a large chair wrapped and cushioned in furs near the fire as she continued to make new clothes for both her and Ivar. Speaking of Ivar, he had left shortly after dagmal to train with his brothers and Ursula saw that it is now after noon.

Setting aside her work, Ursula got to her feet her knees emitting a crackling pop as she moved towards the cupboards just as the door opened. Goosebumps appeared as the chilly air touched her skin but ignored it as she grabbed two tankards and made her way to fill them up.

"Well, well, well. You seemed to have done some decorating Ivar." Came the cocky, lighthearted voice of Hvitserk as he plopped down at the table.

Ursula heard Ivar scoff in amusement before glancing to him pridefully puff out his chest feeling her own sort of amusement. "That is thanks to Hyrrokkin brother. I had very little part the process."

"Is that so?" She grew unbearably uncomfortable at the leer Hvitserk directed her way and it most have shown because Ivar gave a glare of death towards his elder brother.

"Yes, brother. And you do well to keep your eyes to yourself before I permanently remove them." The growl of Fenrir is prominent in Ivar's high, clear voice as he kept glaring at Hvitserk.

Ursula said nothing as she set the tankards down before laying a hand on Ivar's shoulder squeezing it gently. She could feel him relaxing just enough for it to be slightly noticeable to her trained eyes. Hvitserk, however, watched the interaction with darkly suspicious eyes as he took a sip of his mead.

"Is that a ring I see on your slave's finger Ivar?" Came the disbelieving tone of the blonde just as Ubbe entered the longhouse.

"Yes." Came the simple reply from Ivar as he kept up his glare looking away just enough to give a nod to Ubbe in greeting.

"What's this about a ring?" Ubbe sat down as he then took notice of the elegantly simple ring on her ring finger before she limped away to get another tankard of mead.

Ursula felt Ivar's burning gaze on her as she filled up the tankard with practiced ease. "Am I not allowed to treat my slave with gifts simply because I can? One ring is nothing."

Many would be outraged at such a statement, but Ursula knew better. A small genuine smile appeared on her face just as she turned to face the brothers once again. She placed the tankard in front of Ubbe getting a nod of thanks before he took a sip of his own.

Just before she left to continue her work, Ivar gently grabbed of her wrist well aware of the gazes of his elder brothers as he did so. "Have you eaten?"

Her heart warmed at the subtle warm concerned undertones in his otherwise calm voice. She nodded and softly said, "I ate some berries earlier. I'll be fine until nattmal."