14 - Words fail

Percy really wished he could just go home right now.

The tension between him and Apollo was almost unbearable, and it was taking all his strength not to grab onto the sun god's hand and bury himself in his Sunny's chest, blocking out the world. Apollo made his life more appealing. He made his life... worth sticking around for. Maybe things didn't have to be so awful after the quest.

Maybe.

The air was disgusting. Percy gagged almost every second breath - the air was so thick and hot that sometimes the breaths he took in didn't even contain enough oxygen. Whenever he gagged, Apollo would look over worriedly, as though he was concerned. Percy wondered why the sun god didn't seem to gag much, but he figured that it was because the dude could stop breathing... could gods to that? He couldn't say he was eager to find out.

He gagged again, and Apollo grabbed his arm, forcing Percy to stop.
"Percy, you're not okay right now. Maybe we should stop here for a bit, and rest. Just until you get your strength up?" The sun god's melodic voice rang through the area, splitting the deafening silence that threatened to engulf the pair of them.
He coughed a bit. "I'm fine, Apollo."

Percy knew he wasn't fine. He also knew that Apollo knew he wasn't fine. But he was grateful when the god didn't seem to push it, and continued walking. Percy sighed. It didn't take an Oracle to know that the end was near, whether that was the quest or his life he didn't know. Nor did he really care. He thought back to the feeling of Apollo kissing him passionately on Damasen's giant couch, hoping to feel some of that warmth and comfort as they walked. But, for once, the memory only filled him with a dull sort of loneliness, and worry. What if something happened, and one of them didn't make it out of here? Percy couldn't lose Apollo too. And he knew that Apollo couldn't lose another lover either. They'd both lost so much...

"No more." Percy muttered, causing Apollo to look back.
"Pardon?"
"No more. No more..." he groaned a bit, trying to force the words out to form his thoughts. "No more..." the words didn't come, and he groaned again, stopping his walk and grab tufts of his hair. What did he want to say? The words stopped coming, his words failed. All he could think about was the phrase, no more.

To Percy's surprise, Apollo just walked back and took his hand, squeezing it gently. "I know, my sea glass."

Apollo knew. He understood Percy. Percy felt the strangest type of immense relief, and hugged the sun god suddenly. A soft gasp of someone being taken off guard, and Apollo hugged back, unsurely.
"Is... is this okay?" Apollo asked, his breath on Percy's ear causing the son of Poseidon the shiver slightly, despite the heat of Tartarus.
"Y-Yeah..."
"What about this?"

~~~

Apollo gently moved his arms down from Percy's shoulders, so that they rested around his lower back. He hoped he hadn't crossed a line. But the temptation to touch the son of Poseidon had been so strong, even if it was just a friendly hug. Then Percy had hugged him, and Apollo had taken that as a sign that this maybe would work out after all.

"Mhm..." hummed Percy, much to Apollo's relief.

Deciding to take things one step further, Apollo gently pressed his lips to the small of Percy's neck. A small gasp from the demigod didn't deter him, and he kept kissing that one spot lightly, revelling in the feeling of being able to hold Percy, to kiss him like this. He remembered watching Annabeth do this, and feeling so jealous of the blonde daughter of Athena. He didn't stop to think that the memories this might trigger for Percy. But it appeared he hadn't needed to as Percy let out a small moan.

"A-Apollo..."
"Is this still okay, Perce?"
"I'm not- I'm not sure... can you stop?

Apollo instantly pulled away, guilt burning his chest. "I'm sorry, my sea glass... are you okay?"
"Yeah, sorry, Sunny. I just need a little more time, okay?"

"Take all the time in the world you need, okay?" Apollo murmured, squeezing the son of Poseidon's hand gently. "I'm sorry for pushing things."

"Hey, it's okay." Percy took a deep breath, gagging a little on the air. Apollo frowned worriedly. He hoped it wouldn't get too hard to breathe for Percy - they'd need their oxygen and strength for the final battle. Something told him that it was going to be more than just destroying Kronos.
"Are you sure, Perce?"
"Certain. And, for the record... one day. One day soon, we'll be okay. Us."

There was an unsure undertone in Percy's voice that made Apollo worry more. Was he starting to give up hope? Apollo thought back to the last two major wars. Percy had never once shown signs of giving up. If he believed things were really this bad... no. Apollo shook himself out of the dark thoughts he was having. He couldn't afford to think this way - if Percy was starting to give up, then Apollo had to show him that there was still some hope left in the world. He had to show him that they were here, they were alive, and they were going to stay that way. Thing would get better, as long as they persevered.

"Percy..." he started, and was cut off by a wave of the demigod's hand.
"Can we just- keep moving?" Percy wheezed a bit, the air was bothering him more than he let on. But Apollo could tell.
"Just- don't kill me for this, okay?"

Apollo had another stupid idea, one that might just work. He moved closer to Percy, and slammed their lips together, exhaling all his oxygen into Percy's mouth.

~~~

"Mmph-"

Percy squirmed a bit at first when Apollo suddenly kissed him. What part of needing time didn't the sun god understand? Perhaps none of it - it was unlikely that Apollo had ever been told that before in his life. He sighed inwardly. How very Apollo of him.

He was about to push the sun god away when he realised something. He could breathe properly again. It was like Apollo had literally given him the kiss of life... if life was air. Which it technically was, so he wasn't wrong.

"'Pollo-"

Once Percy was certain he could breathe again, he gently pushed Apollo away. The sun god blushed red like a tomato, causing the demigod to chuckle slightly.
"Thanks, Sunny. Shall we continue?"
He was determined not to make a big deal out of this - this was a medical reason, right?

Mhm. Doctors orders. He took a deep, clear breath in and smiled slightly at Apollo.

On they walked.

(1148 words)

yes the title is a deh reference. dont sue me for plagiarism pls hehe it was just so perfect for the chapter title