5 - A moment? Not a moment? Why was Percy even thinking about this?

Percy braced himself for the attention Chiron's next statement was going to bring, but what he didn't brace himself for what the utter chaos that would follow it.

"Around 12 noon today, our oracle Rachel Elizabeth dare delivered what the Olympians and I believe to be the next great prophecy."

A few of the younger, newer campers looked around confused. "What could that mean?" one whispered to Connor Stoll, who's eyes didn't quite shine like they used to. An empty spot was next to Connor, one that could only be taken by Travis. One that would never get taken again.

"It means... it means that the world is going to end. Again." There was no hint of humour in the only Stoll brother's tone this time. "Chiron, surely it isn't that bad. We destroyed Kronos... Leo blew up Gaea... what more could there be?" Connor's voice filled with desperation, disbelief, and fear.

The other campers who had survived the two wars were suddenly screaming. Not at each other, not at themselves, and not out of fear. They were screaming out of anger. And they were screaming at the sky.

"How could you do this to us?" One screamed, who Percy recognised as Lou Ellen from the Hecate cabin.

"What more do you expect us to give?" A rage filled cry from Sherman Yang, who was the only remaining Ares resident. "We already sacrificed our lives!" Looking closer, Percy realised that Sherman wasn't quite so... here. There was a silvery taint around his skin, a small amount of transarency. Percy sucked a breath in. There were no more Ares campers.

"No!" screamed Malcolm Pace. It was a scream filled with so much anger, so much pain and hatred that even Chiron flinched. "We've given all we can... why..." Malcolm then broke down on the floor, his sobs wracking his body as two younger demigods lifted him and took him to the cabin. Whoever they were, they looked like they were used to this job.

"Calm yourselves." A calm, musical voice called from beside Chiron. "I know, this is a shocking piece of news and it is most unfair of the Olympians and myself to put you all through it. But we don't have time to sit and scream at the injustices of life. The Titan lord Kronos is rising again, and myself and Percy will be leaving to stop him on Saturday's dawn. However, we may not be able to do so, and you will need to prepare yourselves for the worst war both Camp Half Blood and Camp Jupiter have seen yet."

Percy sat down and placed his hands over his ears, not wanting to hear anymore. He was vaguely conscious of rocking hmself back and forth gently, deliriously humming random songs from Disney. He felt tears slowly trickling down his cheeks. Where did Will and Nico go? Had grover left him too? Everyone ended up leaving him in the end. But that was okay. Percy understood why. He was just a weak demigod who was too broken to be of any use.

The son of Poseidon didn't know how long he was sitting down next to the fire, but when his tears ran dry he opened his eyes to find the moon high in the sky, and his fellow campers no where to be seen. The only other thing he fully registered was a warm hand on the small of his back, and a tired voice murmuring softly to him.

"And then, I picked up the discus." It whispered, pain colouring the tone. "I was being childish, all I wanted was to show off. So I... I threw it. And I guess I wasn't paying enough attention. I let down my guard. I didn't notice the change in the wind until... it was too late."

Percy looked up at the man who had stayed with him. Apollo looked back, pain in his eyes. They each held their gaze, and for a moment he felt this completely unexpected urge to kiss the sun god. Apollo must have felt it too, as he suddenly blinked and looked away, blushing considerably. Percy was sure that he was just as red.

Apollo sighed. "You okay to go inside now, Percy? It's getting rather cold."

Percy nodded and stood up, stretching his aching muscles. "What time is it, Apollo?" He asked tiredly. He was just. So. Tired.

"Showtime." Apollo sang, half-heartedly. When his Hamilton reference was met with a blank expression, he sighed. "Around midnight. You should probably get some sleep. I'll just... I dunno, be on my merry way back to Olympus then..."

"No, wait. Stay." Percy heard himself say. Stuid, stupid, stupid, he thought. Where the Hades did that come from? He and Apollo were nothing. Friends, if Percy was to sugarcoat it. But they'd had a moment. Or wasn't it a moment? Anyways, even if it was a moment, why did it bother him so much? He loved Annabeth, and would only ever love Annabeth. Someday, they'd be together again in Elysium, he just had to wait.

"I beg your pardon?" Apollo asked, reddening slightly. Was it possible that the sun god actually wanted to stay? No. But the blush.... no. Think of Annabeth, Percy told himself sternly. Even though it hurt him, he had to keep thinking about her. Perhaps he could even... speed up the process a little bit. After the quest. Yes, that was what he'd do. Then the gods could find some other poor soul to do their dirty buisness such as quests.

But at the moment, Percy was here. Now. And he'd just asked the god of the sun to stay the night. Quick. Think of a way out of this. "Uhm, I meant... neigh. Stupid autocorrect." Wow. Real smooth, Jackson.

"Percy, I have two responses to that. A; this is a verbal conversation. B; why would you want me to neigh? No, it sounded to me like you asked me to stay." A smirk spread across Apollo's face, even though it seemed to get a little redder. Was he really blushing? Huh. Maybe it wasn't just Percy who was thinking about the moment-that-wasn't-really-a-moment.

Percy blushed. No, he didn't just blush. He went so red, the Demeter kids that remained (Billie and Katie, was it?) could have walked past and wondered if one of their strawberries from the field had grown legs and somehow made its way to beside the dying campfire. "W-well, if you must, I suppose you can stay." He tried to sound nonchalant., but inside he was screaming. Gods, you're dumb, he thought to himself. "C'mon, I'll show you the way."

Apollo probably already knew the way, but if he did he said nothing. The two boys made their way to cabin 3, which smelt faintly of sea salt.

"If you need anything, I sleep over there." Percy gestured towards the bunk he used to share with Tyson. Not that he expected to get any sleep that night. Oh gods, the nightmares. This was a bad, bad idea.

(1179 words)