I Am Looking At You

*Author's Note*
Hello fellow Bakustans!
I decided to update this fic and change it up a little in order to improve the quality of this chapter. I'll now be using a non-binary OC as I do in "Gesei" (my HawksXDabiXNBOC fanfic), the bio for this character is in the description!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The forest was darker now as the sun finally slipped away underneath the horizon line. It was almost as if it was tucking itself into bed. Still, the sky blushed warm pinks and reds, reminiscent of the sun's presence. Akira felt the individual blades of grass between their fingers as they slumped heavier against a decaying log, grounding themselves into this spot. Akira took a deep breath, head swimming with the scent of moss and pine. Their eyes trailed from the roots, up the trunks, and to the tip tops of the trees and they saw the night sky as clear as it could be. Stars scattered around like freckles on innocent cheeks, as if angels had come down from the Heavens and kissed away all the pain the moon had to face. The treetops shielded Akira from the moon's smile, hid them from its light, and the more they gazed through the overhanging branches the smaller they felt.
Soon their warm and cushioned seat on the forest floor became damp, muscles and bones seeming stiff as they shifted to stand. Darkness had crept in so silently around Akira, one that could only be compared to the type of darkness that awaits in death. The stars had been so dazzling they had gotten lost in their sight. Akira squinted through the trees, shakey legs stepping forward to navigate a way back... back where though? Where had they come from? As they stumbled through unfamiliar terrain their eyes caught a flash of red darting in the right peripheral of their vision. Akira stopped dead in their tracks. Their body tensed, fingers curling into the palms of their hand and head cocking to the side to affirm their suspicion.
But there was nothing...
Akira continued to walk, not really sure where they were going but they had to get out of here. The atmosphere had shifted, what was once calm and welcoming had quickly turned strained and grim. They gasped, a shakey breath leaving their lungs as they exhaled, the suspicion of the same red light reoccurring to the left. Akira knew they were being hunted.
They dashed, legs seeming to move before they could even think of where they were running to, panic swarmed their chest like bees in a hive, their heart beating thumping so fast and loud they could hear it clear as day.
For a split second, Akira looked over their shoulder, checking behind them only to see darkness... no trees, no grass, just black. They stopped, facing forward now to make direct eye contact with a tall, looming figure whose stare glowed red and burned into Akira's soul. Akira had seen these eyes somewhere before... they knew this figure... they knew enough to be scared of it.
They went to scream, to call for help but when they opened their mouth no sound came. There was just a deafening silence and the world seemed to slow when the figure moved its arm out, freezing cold hands wrapping in a vice-like grip around Akira's forearm. They couldn't move. They felt tears bubble and spill over the frames of their eyes as the pain intensified, the figure's grip growing tighter and tighter until-

Akira's eyes popped open, body jerking forward and gasping for breath as their scream finally came. The sound echoing around them was a relief, and the scene filtered in.
Bakugou stood from his designated seat next to Akira's bed, he wiped his palms on his jeans, staring wide at Akira as he moved to cup their face. His thumbs desperately brushed along their cheek, attempting to help them focus. "Akira, Akira baby, hey... it's alright. Calm down! Calm down I'm right here... I'm right here." He leaned over them, pushing down on the call button, and propping their head up with his hands. "HEY WE NEED SOME HELP IN HERE!" His words were gruff with anger, why were the nurses in this place so slow?!
Akira attempted to lift their hand up to Bakugou's wrists as he held their head steady but they felt so heavy. A short grunt in pain was all Akira could muster as they looked down to see their forearm in a cast. A painful image flashing through their mind, followed by the crisp sound of bones cracking under pressure. It seemed so clear still.
"Nono, hey don't do that! Try not to move so much... not until the nurses get here alright?"
Bakugou's words were all a jumbled mess in their ears. Almost echoed in a way. Akira could only focus on him, on Bakugou. They watched as he frantically looked for help, they'd never seen him so scared or frightened. "B-Baku-gou..." A mere whisper, barely audible over the beeping of machines in the background, the sound of oxygen as it filtered through the mask on Akira's face.
"Sh,sh,sh... it's okay. You're safe now. Just keep quiet and -"
"Well, well, well... look who's finally awake." The nurse came in, her hands replacing Bakugou's as she asked him to step back.
"No! Katsuki! Kat-su-ki!" Akira protested, panic shaking her soul as he left their view, bed surrounded by the orderly, all pulling at tubes and pushing buttons.
Bakugou knew he needed to step away and let the nurses do their job but it crushed him to see Akira like this. He just wanted to take them home, just wanted to see them healthy and smiling again. "Let them do their job... I'm not going anywhere." He spoke from behind them, forcing stability in his voice.
"It' alright, you're in the hospital Akira, just try and relax we're going to take care of you." She helped shift them back to rest. "I'm going to lower you down alright? We just don't want you to wiggle around too much, you sustained a lot of damage in the incident." She settled Akira against the pillow so they were properly supported and began to inspect the muscles in their neck. "I'm just going to ask you a few questions alright?" She checked their vitals while she spoke. "Do you remember your name?"
"Akira Kojima..." It felt weird to speak, Akira's words were so soft amongst the commotion.
"Do you know how old you are?"
"22."
"Good, and do you remember what happened, do you know why you're here?"
Akira tried to think, there were only bits and pieces, they hesitated, brows pulling together as they concentrated. The nurse didn't wait for them.
"Do you remember anything from the accident at all?"She furiously wrote against her clipboard, gauging Akira's reaction.
Their eyes were wild and panicked as the nurse hovered over them, blocking their view of Bakugou still but they knew he was there. "The accident..." Akira croaked, thoughts reeling as strangely familiar scenes popped into their head. They zoned out for a moment, eyes latching onto the ceiling light and expression curling in discomfort. "There was something... it smelt like gasoline I- and fire..." Their words trailed and the whole room seemed to go silent. For a moment Akira was sitting back in that chair. They remembered the way the rope burned into their wrists and ankles, the way their forearms and thighs were cut open, poked, and prodded. Akira's eyes began to fill with tears and their breathing hitched.
The nurse stopped them before they could go any further. "Okay, I think that's enough. I'm just going to check a few more things and we'll get the Doctor in here okay?" She knew panicking them would only make things worse. Right now a physical assessment was most important. The nurse ran the tip of her pen on Akira's palms, "can you feel this?"
They nodded.
She ran the pen down their legs and the soles of their feet. " How about here?"
They nodded again.
"Perfect, alright, you seem to be stable so I'm going to hand these charts in and the Doctor will see you shortly alright? Just stay in bed, and if you need anything in the meantime you can press the call button here."
Akira looked straight to Bakugou who stood with his arms wrapped around his torso, nose scrunched and eyes watering. "Katsuki..."
He came closer to them, unable to escape the guilt any longer as he looked down at their broken body. Bakugou was just glad they were alive... "Akira..." He leaned over them, placing a tender kiss on their forehead, body nearly shaking with anger. Killing those guys wasn't enough. He wished they would have suffered more, he wished he could get revenge in such terrible ways.
"Katsuki, you saved me-"
"No. No, I didn't save you, don't say that." He looked straight into Akira's eyes. "I failed you Akira... look at you. You're suffering because of me."
Is this really what he thought? They couldn't believe the words coming from Bakugou's mouth. Akira wanted to say so much more but it hurt to breathe... they raised their hand, as heavy as it seemed, and let the tips of their fingers scratch so subtly against the nape of Katsuki's neck. "I... I'd be dead if it wasn't for you."
Bakugou felt his heart crumble at their words...you were dead...he wanted to say, who was going to tell them? And when? He held it in, they didn't need to know that for 2 &1/2 minutes Bakugou didn't have a purpose to exist anymore, that he didn't want to be in this world. "You're in here because of me...if I had been around if I-"
"Shut up." Akira managed a smirk, hand falling back down against the bed. "How long have I been out?"
Bakugou pulled away only for a moment, reaching for the chair he'd kept residence in this entire time and taking a seat. His hand wrapped around the tips of Akira's fingers that stuck out of their cast. "Six days..."
They huffed out a short breath, eyes wandering up Bakugou's body to really take in what was now a reality. It had only felt like a couple of hours... had it really been six whole days? Akira noticed Katsuki's sweatpants. The same ones he wore when.... his sweatshirt, a very visible dark brown stain down the front of it... was that, dried blood? What happened? His under eyes were dark, lips chapped and hair messier than usual... "You've been here... for six days? Dumbass..."
"Yeah, I guess I am." He admitted with ease. "A dumbass for being so desperately in love with you. Of course, I was here... where else would I go?"
"You need to take care of yourself too Katsuki."
"No... not after all this, I needed to take care of you."
"And how will you do that if you're not 100%?"
Bakugou scoffed, head turning away from Akira's gaze. "Pft, don't get all smart with me dumbass. You know no matter what I would... I'd always take care of you." He grumbled, fingers curling tighter around Akira's.
"I know..." They didn't know what else to say... processing all of this seemed like a joke to them. Meaning that it didn't even feel real. Being here, everything that happened, maybe Akira was living in a dream, or in this case a nightmare. "I can't believe it's been six days..." They shook their head, eyes wandering around the room to try and ground themselves but everything seemed blurry except for Bakugou.
He furrowed his brows, turning back to face Akira. "It doesn't matter now, you're awake, that's what's important." He paused, hesitating with his next question. "Do you remember anything at all?"
Akira's breaths shook ever so slightly, they got lost in the black and blues of the bruises around their wrist. "I remember my arm breaking... well... I remember the sound it made. I should have been strong enough to fight them off but-"
"Stop." Bakugou already knew where they were going with this and that's because Bakugou would have felt the same way. "Don't you dare blame yourself." He squeezed their fingertips. "Akira... look at me right now." Bakugou leaned in, "you did everything you could... they were just too determined. Don't go blaming yourself like-" He cut himself off. Katsuki wasn't going to bring that up. " Look, Hound Hero found the discarded syringe they used in between the seats of your car... whatever was in it was powerful enough that they took it away for scrutinized testing. We don't even know how they got a hold of something that potent..."
"I don't think they took it from someone else." Akira's voice was meek, memories flitting through their head but they were so distorted. "Fuck-why can't I remember anything?!" Akira wanted to kick their own ass, they could help. They could answer questions and figure all this out but, their head was just... blank.
"Don't stress and be a dumbass about it alright?" Bakugou noticed the jump in heart rate. "Let's focus on getting you back home first. Besides, I'm not sure the case will go much further with nobody to take into custody..." He leaned back in his chair now, relishing in the memory of him tearing through the building, dropping bodies left, right, and center.
Akira didn't respond, they assumed the worst and they knew what Bakugou did but only from the residual feeling from his words. He killed them all didn't he?