forewarning: this is another long one, folks

+++++++++++++++++

Merida got back to the mansion and was met by Higgs hovering at the door.

"Well, what did she say?"

"She said that she would have to think about it and then she would send her response by letter."

"By letter?"

"Aye... She's muckle suspicious and quite odd about what's going on."

"Considering who I am, I can't write her off just because she acts a little odd."

"The difference between ye and her is that ye change yer body, not yer head. She's verra strange, even by yer standards."

"What makes you say that?"

"Weel, for starts, she is a master of The Hunt. A wee lass like her having a liking to a sport like that and with ye the way ye are... dinnae ye find that a bit odd?"

"As long as she's not hunting me then to each their own." Higgs said with a shrug as she walked towards the kitchen.

"Higgs..."

"I think it's weird." Edgar chimed in.

"No one asked ye." Merida growled as Edgar rolled his eyes.

"Well, I can't just pick and choose women based on their hobbies. It's more interesting than sewing, knitting, or needle point."

"An ye say so, but I'd still be leery of such a hobby in a lady. I feel as if foulness is aplay."

"Nonsense, Merida, you're just letting your imagination get away with you."

"An ye say so... Weel, now that I've wasted the whole day at Lady Hinkley's house, we ought to get to assessing that room to see what damage there is the furniture and what we need to be replacing."

Higgs crossed his arms and looked at Edgar for a moment, his kitsune ears appearing and flicking.

"I think we should do that first thing tomorrow. Right now, I'm famished and just want to relax. It's been a bit of a few days."

"Aye, that it has. Weel, come on, lad, ye can help me in the kitchen while I've got ye." She said, referring to Edgar.

"Actually, may I speak with Edgar alone?" Higgs asked.

Edgar and Merida looked at each other, Edgar with a quizzical expression, but Merida nodded.

"Aye, of course ye can. I'll be helping Marlow then."

She left the room and Edgar looked around in agitation. As much as he viewed Higgs as a father, they had never really been in a room together by themselves and Higgs had definitely never requested to be alone with him. He sensed that it wasn't going to be friendly chat. He finally looked at Higgs again as he stared at him, his odd fox eyes making him even more uncomfortable.

"We need to talk, young man."

He turned and motioned for Edgar to follow him.

****************

They made it to another room and Higgs motioned for Edgar to sit down. He did and then looked at his feet.

"Do you know why I'm talking with you in private?"

"No..."

"I'm very displeased by your attitude."

"Oh... um..."