Never Forgotten

The crisp morning breeze drifted through the screen window ever so frictionless. My eyes began to shutter against the new days rays of life, and I hear a faint tune. A tune that brought me joy every Saturday morning.
Mom and Dad singing "my girl" by the temptations. They moved across the kitchens floor with such ease, like there was no stopping them. As Dad dipped Mom they both looked up to find me peaking around the corner just watching them. My eyes begin to twinkle as a smile stretched across my face and I swooped into the country style Kitchen to give Mom and Dad a hug good morning. Dad picked me up in his big burly arms, spinning me around in his big bear hug. I begin to giggle because Mom came over and started tickling my neck as she reached up to give me and Dad a kiss.
I could smell the cinnamon, french toast as mom set the table. Dad was flipping the sausage links one last time before he placed them on the plate Mom handed him. Mom was asking me what I was going to do today and I told her I was going to make her favorite mud pies and take Leo for a swim in our pond.
That was the last memory I had of my happy childhood.
The country side was only a memory. Mom and Dad full of life, and the world I knew was nothing more than a dream. That May morning was the last time I would feel the hugs of my parents.
I was playing in the pond, splashing around with Leo. His long golden fur sparkled in the sun. The air went still as my Aunt Mildred rushed into the pond and pulled me out. Her face was pale, and her breathing was rushed. I kept asking what was going on, why wasn't she talking. She finally put me down at the edge of the tattered, red wood barn and roughly dried me off. Still no words coming from her mouth, but I could feel the worry collecting behind her gray shadowed eyes. I knew something was wrong.