Window of Truth

I sat in the backseat of my aunt and uncles red Toyota Corolla. My hands sticky with dirt from moving, and wet from the tears I could not hold back. As we pulled away I turned around to look at the house I grew up in one last time. The tire swing blowing in the breeze and the leaves glistening in the sun from the morning dew. This was my life, this was how it ended, I just knew it. Life would never be the same.
I closed my eyes for I could not bare to see what was yet to come. I woke to the thumping of the tires on a gravel road and dust sifting through the crack in the window. It was time to wake up and see where I was going to be staying, the home that was now explained to be my forever home.
Leo and I slowly climbed over the bags in the backseat, and gingerly placed our feet in the gravel of the driveway that would become my future. I look down at Leo, emotionless, and not knowing what I was really feeling. He took off after Aunt Mildred and Uncle Beau as they told us to come on in, and I stay standing in the same spot. Unable to move, not knowing what to do or where to go. I stand with uncertainty on what this all meant for me.
Uncle Beau came back to the front door and rested his arm and head on the dark wood doorframe as though he knew how I was feeling. He waited quietly as I slowly put one foot in front of the other, only to stop as I approached the first step. He reached out to me and held my hand as he whispered, mom and dad are still with us. They will never be gone, they are right here, and he paused his hand over my heart with a smile. Together we enter the house that would become my home.