chapter five - clinomania

clinomania – the excessive desire to stay in bed

The first time I got out of bed in days was to a knock at my door.

The team had been taking turns checking in on me, but I couldn't bring myself to see them.

As I stood up the exhaustion hit me, and I felt dizzy, steadying myself by resting my head on the door of my bedroom.

I walked through my cold apartment; I took a deep breath as the crisp air filled my lungs.

Looking through the peephole I saw Penelope, she looked almost as tired as I did.

Something about her made me feel comfortable, slowly turning the lock I opened the door, I took a slow staggered breath, starting to cry.

She pulled me in her arms and gently hugged me, "Hey, I got you, it's okay Es".

Even though my apartment was a mess I felt safe around Penelope, and I invited her inside. "You haven't slept?" she said, "it's been a while Pen"

"Well, I know I'm not Rossi, but I brought you something to eat if that's okay?"

I nodded letting a small smile, she instructed me to sit at the breakfast bar and she cooked.

We talked; I knew Penelope lost her parents, but it was never something she really opened up about. The more she spoke the less alone I felt.

"People always told me that the pain doesn't stop, you just learn to deal with it, but I don't know how to do that yet," I said, crying lightly.

"Even though this is the 4th anniversary, It's the first one I can remember, the last 3 years, I spent the day passed out the floor of an empty room somewhere," I said.

We sat together on the couch and ate, watching some crappy TV, I found myself drifting off to sleep.

I woke to find myself on the couch wrapped in a blanket, my apartment was clean, the folders on the floor were tidied, old bowls in the sink were put away. I checked the clock; I had been asleep for almost thirteen hours.

A note in the kitchen read –

Hi Es,

I hope you don't mind that I tidied, there is food in the fridge, eat it, please

Pen x