chapter fourteen - despair

I couldn't really keep track of the time; I think it had been about two days since we were first taken.

Spencer looked worn; we were forbidden from talking but his face showed his sorrow more than any words could. His eyes were puffy and red, his voice croaky and tired.

The pain radiated throughout my body; the taste of blood was prominent in my mouth.

It was becoming more difficult to breathe properly with short, sharp, grasps of cold air filling my lungs.

Another man entered the room, he wasn't one I had seen before.

He stood beside me, his hand tracing the bruises on my jawline, I jumped lightly at his touch, expecting pain. This was worse, his hand moved from my face to my collarbone and down to my chest.

Spencer jumped from his seat only to be pulled back by the restraints behind the chair "Don't touch her".

The man's hands traced my body.

A tear gently ran down my cheek as I looked at Spencer "I'm okay Spence- it's okay" I whispered.

He shouted but his voice was drowned out by a needle in my arm, making my body heavy and cold.

I felt the chains loosen from my head as someone took me in their arms. "We'll be back."

The man said, Spencer was screaming as my eyes were closing gently and I was carried out of the room.

Spencer sat alone in the dark room, his head filled with what might be happening to Esme, the faster he thought the faster the tears streamed down his cold face.

A crash from above made him jump, and take a short breath in.

He exhaled shakily, straining, trying to listen upstairs.

He could hear familiar voices; he couldn't place the words but he knew- he hoped- it was Derek.

As the sounds got closer, he could hear them shouting, echoes of "Spencer" and "Esme" filled the building, he called out in response.

JJ was the first to enter the room, she quickly lowered her gun and ran toward Spencer, "are you okay? Spence"

she whispered lightly in a caring tone. "where is she?" he asked.

JJ began loosening the restraints on Spencer's arms, "Where is she?" Spencer repeated.

"She's not here Spence"

As soon as JJ had freed him, he jumped up quickly walking out of the room.

Emily's face was plastered with fear as he ran past her, a brush of cold air followed him as he ran frantically around the hallway shouting

"Esme?"

"Esme- where are you?"

his words echoed in the empty building.

Emily and JJ shared a look as they both tried to calm him down,

"Spence-" JJ said but her words were drowned out by the shouts of Spencer.

As Spencer ran past them, Emily grabbed his hand, he tried to pull away.

"Reid, look at me-" his head turned slowly to face her

"that's it, look at me" she pulled him to face her holding both his hands gently and looking in his eyes.

They both breathed together causing Spencer to slow down as Emily pulled him into a hug, reluctantly he pulled his arms around her.

She whispered into his shoulder, "she's not here Spencer, but we will find her okay? Let's get you out of here."

JJ sat next to Spencer in the SUV, he was quiet, she couldn't tell what was racing around his head, he stared out the window, his eyes darting around the rain that was slowly dripping down the window.

He took a deep audible breath and suddenly grabbed JJs hand.

The tear in his eye ran down his cheek, mirroring the rain outside.

He slowly rested his head on JJs shoulder and squeezed his eyes shut.