chapter sixteen - cold comfort

And as the rain fell harder on the roof I coughed as I felt my lungs failing, the cold reminded me of that morning 4 years ago, my brother and my parents climbing into the car,

shouting "I'm coming Mom!" slipping down the icy pathway into the car.

And then the explosion and the funeral.

A small wave of peace filled me, not as if I was giving up, but that I was accepting.

"I'm coming Mom" I spoke under my breath. Looking to the sky as the pain consumed me and tears ran down my cheek "I'm coming"

The cold was unbearable, I couldn't move, except for an involuntary shiver taking over my body, I felt my heart rate start to slow and my breathing become more laboured.

A creak came from the doorway, I couldn't move to see who it was, as my whole body started to seize.

A figure stood over me, somewhere deep down I hoped that it was someone I knew, but as my eyes refocused, James muttered

"I'm giving you one last chance" he whispered

"where is she?" James towered over me, tossing a knife between his hands.

"I don't know, James, I swear to God I don't, okay?" I spoke quietly as the words fell softly from my dry lips.

I took a laboured breath as the uncomfortable feeling of peace filled me again.

I was finally still, a guilty feeling of hope consumed me, I was going home, to my family.

He kneeled down next to me gently pressing the knife against my abdomen, I closed my eyes and I felt calm.

The sound of a gunshot echoed through the air, I strained to see James bleeding from his chest.

I really did expect to feel relieved, and I was, but deep down I felt true sorrow for James.

We would do anything for family and he just wanted his daughter, his child.

I felt a touch on my shoulder, my arm tensed, I looked to see Emily, and I relaxed again.

She brought her hand to my face, tracing a bruise around my eye lightly with her thumb,

"I've got you Esme, okay? You're gonna be okay"

I saw Derek run into the room, he stopped before the body of James, the anger drained from his face.

He slowly knelt down to me and took me in his arms, the pain made my eyes heavy.

My head lulled into his elbow, as he carried me, his hands were warm against my skin.

He ran out of the warehouse; abrasive red and blue lights filled my eyes. The ringing in my ears was accompanied by familiar voices, I couldn't place the words but the tone was comforting to me.

Rain gently caressed my skin; the water soothed the burns on my body.

The rain comes, oblivious to the life it gives. It washes the world, and cleanses all it holds.

To see a World in a Grain of Sand

And a Heaven in a Wild Flower

Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand

And Eternity in an hour

- Auguries of Innocence
- William Blake

(a/n this is my first book tysm for reading, let me know what you thought, i love all of you)