Chapter Thirteen

Lin groaned as she slowly regained consciousness. Her head was pounding and there was a throbbing in her torso that likely meant she had bruised a couple ribs from the fight with the guards. She took in her current position and first noticed she was sitting up. Opening her eyes she found herself attached to a wooden chair in the middle of a large room with tall ceilings.

Her hands were encased completely in metal and secured tight against the arms of the chair. She had been stripped of her armor, sitting only in a white tank top and her dark pants. Her feet were bare and she felt a moment of triumph when she found she could easily wiggle her toes. The bottom section of her legs were also covered in platinum and secured to the legs of the chair but if she could maneuver her feet enough she should still be able to bend.

Lin had a moment of panic when she tried to summon the earth through her feet. Visions of a rainy night and the masked face of Amon rushing into her mind. She looked a little closer and realized she was actually on a slightly raised wooden platform with a platinum lined indentation in the top. As her senses started to fully return she could feel the coolness of water against her feet, the area around her chair completely surrounded by it.

Looking around the room, she noticed a pair of wires that were affixed to the edge of her platform, leading to a corner of the room and attaching to what looked like a large generator.

A door somewhere behind her opened and three men came into view. One didn't even look at her as he walked over to the generator and flipped a switch. Immediately Lin could hear the all too familiar hum of electricity and she suddenly suspected she knew what happened when those metal cables were activated.

Another of the men stood directly in front of her and he looking at her with a horrifying smile on his face. The third man took a more defensive position behind him, his cold eyes staring through her.

"I expected an attack from you, Chief Beifong, but I have to admit I never thought you'd be stupid enough to come alone."

Lin growled.

"What do-"

Her question was cut off as the man in the corner pushed a button before flipping a switch, a surge of electricity instantly coursing through her body. It wasn't strong enough for her to lose consciousness but it still made every nerve in her body pulse with pain.

"You'll only speak if I ask you a question."

She was panting slightly as she looked to him with nothing but hatred in her eyes.

"We've studied you and your friends for many years now. And it seems that the electric weapons created by Hiroshi Sato are still the most effective counter to even the most skilled benders."

He took a step closer, leaning over the platform as he grinned at her.

"Now. I want you tell me where the Avatar is."

Lin didn't reply, pursing her lips in defiant silence.

He leaned back and gave a slight nod over his shoulder. Lin couldn't help the scream that came out as she was hit with another jolt of electricity. She was beyond over the feeling and she made a mental note to tell Asami how much she hated Future Enterprises. She was wheezing as she struggled to get her breathing under control. He didn't even give her time to recover before trying again.

"Tell me where the Avatar is."

"No."

She braced herself for the shock but it didn't come. Instead, the man just gave a look to guard who stood behind him before turning back to Lin. He didn't break eye contact with her as the other man shot out a controlled flame at her. She closed her eyes on instinct the blow didn't come. She opened her eyes and saw the flame hitting the metal cage her hands were trapped in. The metal was only slightly warm but he didn't stop the flame and Lin realized things could get very bad very quickly. She needed to keep a level head and think of something. She balled her hand into a fist in anger and got an idea.