Panic Attack

Peter stood in the crowded school hallways, fighting against the tide of rushing students hurrying to get out the door to whatever mundane task they had to do next. He only wanted to go home and see May, but he had patrol to do first. Fighting an oncoming headache, he rested his head against the cool metal of the lockers before pulling out his books and stuffing them haphazardly in his bag, successfully covering his suit from Tony Stark.

He wished that he got to see Tony more, but he was still so busy with the Accords, and Peter didn't want to be a bother. Peter never wanted to impose on anyone, he was used to getting around in his own bubble without having to rely on others. It was always better this way, this way no one could get hurt. This way, he never had to see anyone get killed again. He never wanted to see anyone die again.

He forced himself out of the incoming spiral of anxiety about even thinking about Ben's blood slowly turning the tile floor pink that would soon be scrubbed out, removing anyone of any knowledge that his uncle, one of the best men that Peter had ever known, had taken his last breath there to protect him. He died to protect him. It was all Peter's fault.

Pushing against the wall of panic forming, Peter knew that telling himself this wasn't what Ben would have wanted wouldn't work, and he instead slowly sunk to the floor, giving in to the thoughts that kept him up at night. He pushed his head between his knees, rocking back and forth and completely ignoring the people around him giving strange looks. He let himself sink into the memories that threatened to tear him apart if he didn't do anything about them, hoping that this time it would be quick. He just wanted to jump from building to building, his feet scraping dangerously close to the fast-moving pavement below him.

He scratched at his left arm, whimpering as he removed the fresh scab from earlier claw marks. He tuned everyone out and instead heard the gunshot that took his uncle from him, over and over, the sickening squelch of Ben's body hitting the floor, and his own sobs that overtook his body. He tuned out Mr. Harrison yelling at him, until the man shook him and Peter's head snapped back, banging on the locker door before falling limp again.

"-eter! Peter, I need you to listen to me. I've called your guardian, I need you to focus on the sound of my voice. Now, what are 5 things you can hear?"

Peter focused on his science teacher and the crowd of students gathered around him, some with phones out and an unmistakable glow from their cameras. He remembered the question that his teacher had asked him, and fumbled for a reply. " I. . . the lights buzzing." Mr. Harrison nodded before motioning for him to continue, his hands still heavy on Peter's shoulders. " I can hear people whispering. I can, umm ". Peter looked around the crowded hallway for more things to name. " I can hear a bell, people walking, and your voice. "

" 3 things you can see?" Peter blinked, bringing the hallway and subsequent students back into focus. " I can see Flash, a camera in the corner, and a poster." His teacher nodded, his usual smile forced out of the way by a serious expression. " Now, what is something you can taste?" Peter touched a hand to his mouth before he was able to place the tangy taste in his throat. " Blood " He whispered, before pulling his hand away and wiping it haphazardly on his jeans.

Peter heard the unmistakable clanking of heavy metal boots and people gasping in surprise. He saw a flash of red and gold before his teacher moved out of the way, and Tony Stark in his full Iron Man suit came into view. " Hey Tony", Peter said in a raspy voice, waving before realizing that his hand still had an unmistakable burgundy, and sitting on his hand, his face turning a deep red as well.

Tony disassembled the suit before rushing to Peter's side, expensive suit becoming wrinkled in his hurry. " Kid, what happened?" Tony put his hands on Peter's cheeks, turning his head side to side and looking into his pupils to make sure Peter, his Peter didn't have a concussion. " I just got a little bit... carried away in my reminiscing," Peter mumbled, secretly loving how carefully Tony was checking him over, making sure there was not a scratch on him.

Tony's eyes became more serious, if that was even possible. " Was it your uncle?" He asked, careful to make sure that Peter didn't fall back into his panic attack. Peter slowly nodded, and Tony softened. He knew all about what happened with Ben Parker, he did have access to S.H.I.E.L.D. ( they didn't really know that, and Tony wanted to keep it that way ). After making sure that Peter was ok, he extended a hand to the Spider-ling on the floor. " Would you want to tell it to me over ice cream?"

Peter was still a little in shock that Tony was even here, but accepted the outstretched hand, watching as Tony make an exaggerated back pop. If there was one thing Tony was good at, it was deflecting trauma with comedy. " Wait, why are you even here? Don't you have meetings or something else adults are supposed to do? " Tony chuckled and threw one arm over Peter's shoulder, slowly guiding Peter towards the front doors.

" I was signed up as your emergency contact to take you to Leipzig, and May was taking another shift at the hospital. You know how she is." Peter nodded, and the duo walked out of the school, empty Iron Man suit carrying Peter's backpack, and leaving behind a whole hallway of confused students, many rushing to be the first to upload the video they had filmed. Flash looked downright murderous at the very idea he was proven wrong about the internship, and Mr Harrison looked proud that his favorite student was telling the truth the whole time. Because of course he did.

He was Peter Parker, one of the best kids out there. 

(Book started on Feb. 23, 2021. )