Kanyou's War - Plot Against Zelda

-Zelda-

She managed to hold on right up until the doors closed behind her and the harem was shut off from her. Zelda gasped for breath and stumbled, all of her fear and terror and barely restrained hallucinations assaulting her at once. The skin around her neck flared like it was on fire, every part of her body itched like a thousand ants, her blood boiled with an icy chill, her hair felt zapped, and every muscle in her body spasmed with the will to flee of their own will. As if she was but a prisoner trapped inside her body, even the cage wanted to flee.

She would have fallen flat on her face had Shi Ketsu not stepped in and quickly roped an arm around her waist. "Your highness!" He exclaimed.

'Breathe!' Zelda reminded herself. It was a struggle. Her body seemed to have forgotten something so basic that she needed to focus all of her will on it just to stay concious as the bright sky dimmed in and out before her eyes. 'Breathe. Just breathe. You did it! Breathe!'

Outloud, Zelda managed to whisper, "W-walk... me... Get me... away..."

Shi looked around frantically for a moment. He realized what she wanted, what she needed, and, holding tightly to her shoulders, moved forward a bit. Zelda managed to put a step forward on flimsy legs, but it was slow going down the many steps past the eunuchs guarding the outdoor plaza. The caravan waited in the courtyard below. When the guards below looked up and noted them, they rushed to her, and in taking Zelda from Shi's arms, hurried her into the caravan and yelled for the driver to take her to the royal doctors. Zelda collapsed on the seat, not even having the will to sit up. Another figure leaped up, sat down, shut the door, and yelled for them to hurry away.

'Breathe.' Zelda thought. Her muscles shook frigidly, her teeth chattered, and her breaths came out in short bursts. She remembered what it was like in Zhao, how the winters were bitter and cold and numbing.

Zelda felt something and narrowly opened an eye to note Shi Ketsu was with her in the caravan along with her captain of the royal guard, and they had placed a blanket on her. Odd. She didn't feel it. She just felt cold, like she was back in Zhao again.

-Narrator-

A few days later a great event occurred in the capital as a caravan of ministers and officials made their way to the royal palace. The many heads of the Ki main house, those that Kei Ki the Beheader had not removed, the head of the Kai house, and the head of the Han house all entered the palace, and with them their faction. Wealth was gifted to the royal family and Zelda saw her power swell. The men entering her service were many and of great influence, talent, wealth, and power. The people were amazed and her Sheikah spies reported that the ministers in Ryo's faction were caught off guard by this. The good fortune didn't seem to end as Chancellor Impa returned and reported that a great weight was partially lifted from her guilt, and praised Zelda's bravery in how she handled the matter in her absence, both publicly and privately. Yet, even so, a shadow fell on Zelda as she felt there was something more at play, something more beneath the surface, and she didn't know what.

About the same time these men arrived at the palace, the answer would come elsewhere.

-Sarah, Royal Harem-

Sarah hummed to herself happily and lit a candle. The last few days had been quiet at the harem, but Sarah knew it wouldn't be at the palace. Zelda had taken a bit longer than she expected, but the princess did request Sarah's companionship again. Sarah expected she would go to service in the royal palace to find a near catanic princess, or an ice-cold angry witch with walls as high as the sky, or maybe even an emotional sobbing wreck. There was no telling which it would be, but with what had happened it wouldn't just be a normal visit. Sarah fully expected to have to help pick up the pieces of Zelda's psyche.