Rebel's War - Foolishness

-Zelda-

Zelda wished there was more she could say to help Ganondorf through his dilemma. All she could do was relate to his inner struggle of feeling cursed for life. Although she disagreed with his decision for a war with the Mitagi, she promised herself she would do what the Fae encouraged: Zelda understood Ganondorf's decision was important to him, even if she found it foolish and impractical. She would not hold him accountable as a man under her authority, but as an equal in alliance. His choice would put both the Mitagi and Majora alliance at risk regardless of the intentions. If she were in his position, she could not say she wouldn't do the same thing.

Ganondorf did not seem capable of further reflection. His mind had become fragile as of late, torn between paths. The best Zelda could hope to do now was give him some insights to consider. The insights would come from her priests. On admittedly rare occasions, she would listen and debate with them for the more unique decisions like this. The rest of what Zelda could offer stemmed from understanding a fellow cursed monarch. If Ganondorf wanted someone to relate to, she could offer that at the very least.

Zelda rose and left Ganondorf to his thoughts.

"Well, well," The Guardian mused as she approached him with Sarah. "So the fox was the princess. You had me fooled." Zelda tensed. The voice was definitely recognizable.

"So I did," Zelda replied. She looked back into Ganondorf's cell. Malon looked reluctant to leave. "Tell me, would it be improper for her to stay a while longer? She is his ward."

"It would be improper. I will not have it. I take my job very seriously, princess. She leaves with you all, or all of you stay."

"Very well. Malon, if you will."

Malon hesitated, but Ganondorf gave a limited motion for her to go. Understanding him, Malon somberly returned to Zelda's side.

Malon whispered in her newfound voice, "I will be able to see him again, right?"

"Of course, you can," Zelda answered. "The trial should be very soon now that the Majora arrived."

With that said, Zelda glared at Sarah.

"What is wrong, Zelda?" Sarah asked.

"For the sake of innocent animals everywhere, do not ever get a pet. Considering you were a damn sight better than Link, I understand now why he sucks with animals. You nearly crushed me in your squealing fits."

Sarah blushed furiously. "M-my apologies, Z-Zelda."

"All is well, but I will be checking with a doctor to be sure I don't have a broken rib."

As this sudden argument occurred, the Guardian opened the door leading up and led them back to the dungeon's main room. Once out, he twisted the central sword to seal the deep prison's passage and got more deep burns for his trouble.

After taking a moment to look around, Zelda saw there were no beds, no clothes, no doors to other areas, and no food outside of what was presented to Ganondorf. The Guardian said he lived here, Zelda recalled. How could that be? Who was this man?

From what Zelda could understand, the Guardian was exceedingly old. But while his voice gave him away as an old man, his demeaner showed a strength and virility as solid as Geoffrey's. References were made to him as if he was older than anyone else in Mitagi. Just by the very nature of his job, he must have been down here all the time.

"Tell me, Guardian," Zelda inquired. "You said you were charged with guarding this place, are under the authority of the Triple Goddesses, and were a prisoner as much as those below. This speaks of a crime and punishment occurring. You are the only one considered strong enough to hold back Ganondorf Dragmire should he break out. This alone speaks of power. Yet for all of my understanding and memory, I cannot recall a man charged by the priests with life imprisonment beneath the castle of Mitagi."