7-3: The New You Part 3

"So..." Norman Osborn's voice was slow, and he didn't project very much, but the eerie quiet of the room made it the only thing to listen to, and you could hear all the inflections in his voice. He didn't sound thrilled. "...I see you've returned."

I stood silently, already wanting to kind of slip behind Harry, but too anxious to risk moving. Not very hero-like, I know, but Norman gave off an aura that unsettled me. It was similar to how I'd felt when I went up against the Doombot, only now, I wasn't suited up, and somehow that made a world of difference. Harry seemed to be under a similar effect. He was totally still, and stared directly at Norman. I began to realize that it was approaching 10 seconds without Harry giving so much as a reply.

Finally, he gave a stiff nod. "Yeah."

Norman pulled his hand off of the desk and put them both in the pockets of his business pants. "Then do you intend to tell me who this is? Because I'm sure you must have some explanation for bringing someone here after I forbid it."

I swallowed and looked at Harry out of the corner of my eye. It seemed he hadn't been entirely forthcoming with the details.

Harry sighed and looked slightly to the side. "I know. But this isn't one of those guys. This is the kid I told you about, Peter Parker. You know...he's really smart."

Norman finally turned his attention fully to me. I could feel his eyes looking me up and down, analyzing me. "Is he now...?" He took a few slow steps past the desk. "Peter, was it? May I ask your GPA?"

I was caught off guard. I hadn't expected him to be so upfront with a question like that. I could hardly tell if he was serious.

It made me uncomfortable, and a little bit angry. I managed to suppress the bitterness in my voice as I replied, "Actually, I...believe I don't have to tell you that. It's private."

Harry gave me a look of almost pure panic. I could hardly believe I'd even said it.

Norman didn't seem very phased. He looked at me for a few seconds, then emitted a single chuckle. "My...now that's unusual." He began to walk the length of the desk, pulling his left hand out of his pocket to run a finger along the edge. "You know something, young man? I have a lot of power. And to get there, I've had to do more than just ride my own talent. I decided long ago that no one will ever tell me I couldn't have something. And I haven't let anyone do so my whole career."

He picked up a paperweight, a green spherical one, and held it up near his face to look at it.

"It's been so long since anyone has tried. That kind of resilience...it's refreshing. You'd do good to learn from him, Harold."

Both Harry and I remained still. Neither of us seemed sure of what he meant. Finally, my friend broke himself out of his trance and tilted his head. "Wait...so now you don't care?"

Norman looked at him for a moment out of the corner of his eye, and set the paperweight back down. "Even if I did, I have my ways of finding out what I want to know. I know what I care about, and that's that your friend here chooses not to view those with empty authority as being above him. It's that mentality that I support."

So...that worked? I said one thing. 

Harry's expression turned from concern to a bit sour, but he sighed and moved on. "Anyway, while he's here he'll be giving some pointers...or, whatever."

"Very well." Norman nodded, and walked around the side of his desk to sit down in the chair. "Welcome. And best of luck with that one." He nodded towards Harry, and even from a distance I could see a tiny smirk on his face.

Harry immediately turned and tugged on my shirt sleeve as he passed by, signaling me to leave with him. I turned and followed him, but watched Norman over my shoulder, all the way until the doors shut.