Chapter 11: Virginia

The long drive continued. Considering the time we left it was a good start. It was 11:39 p.m. "Do you want me to drive? Or should we find a hotel to stay at." I asked. "Find a hotel, it'd be best. Remember a hotel not a motel." He nodded. We both hated motels, someone about it just didn't seem sanitary to us. Call us privileged but I refuse to sleep in one.
"There's a Inn up 3 miles. After the route marker there should be a sign or something." I said while looking at my phone.
Spencer continued driving and waited patiently to see the sign.
"There it is." Spencer said while pulling in.
He parked in a guest spot and grabbed both our bags from the backseat. I gestured my hand towards him to hand my bag. "I got it." He laughed. I pushed my lips to a half smile and shook my head.
"Hello." The receptionist said. "Is there any one bedroom rooms available?" I asked while grabbing my card. "Let me see." The receptionist said while clicking her keyboard. Spencer glanced at me in annoyance. I returned the look. "Yes we do.. how many nights?" She asked. "One." I replied. I handed her my card and stepped back into Spencer's embrace just for a second. "Alright, here's your keys. Enjoy your stay!" She smiled.
Spencer and I both exchanged a 'What just happened' look.
He put our bags down on the bed. I reached for a sweat pants and a oversized shirt. Spencer left to the bathroom. I quickly changed and tied my hair into a low pony. When Spencer exited, he was wearing his Caltech shirt and plaid pants. I had never seen him wear plaid anything. I held my laughter in and walked to the bathroom to brush my teeth.
"I don't know about you, but my back hurts." Spencer complained. "Everything is sore." I blinked while pulling the covers out from underneath the pillows.
Once Spencer laid down and got comfortable, I rolled into him. It felt like we were hugging each other as tight as his grip was on me. It was like we almost needed each other tonight. It was one step closer to living together.
"I love you." I whispered in his ear. "I love you too." He said while rubbing my shoulder.
————
I had awoken to a car alarm that went off at 6 in the morning. Spencer groaned and rolled to his side. I arched my back to get the soreness shaken out. I took a deep breath and looked at the sleepy Spencer.
His hair was mangy and curly, his peaceful face, the way his face twitched to whatever he was thinking about.
I opened the curtains to get the sun shining into the room. Spencer grumbled. "Wake up." I whispered. "Close then curtains then I'll negotiate something with you." He said in a husky tone. I rolled him onto his back.
"Come on, I wake up at this time almost every single day for 13 hour shifts and I still perform surgery!"
Spencer opened his eyes and looked up into mine.
He pulled me into him, making me gasp. "5 more minutes." He said slowly. "Fine. I'll drive the rest of the day without you." I joked.
He gave me a look and kissed my cheek. "Okay." He said while getting up.
———-
After half the day, we finally arrived at his apartment. I felt bad for making him drive me but I couldn't even dare to step onto a plane after the accident.
I had slung the smaller bags on my shoulder while Spencer grabbed his bag. We walked a bit and finally reached his apartment.
Spencer searched for his keys, and opened the door. "Welcome home." He joked while taking the key out. I laughed looking around, it was very rustic and almost vintage.
I dropped my bags and rushed downstairs with him to grab the boxes. "I'll take the bigger ones and you take the smaller ones." I said while going in for the biggest box. Spencer raised his brow at my comment. The box I grabbed was full of my books and memorabilia. I huffed for a second and started walking to the door. I heard Spencer let out a chuckle while picking up the rest of the boxes. By the time I reached the door, Spencer had already put all the boxes inside so effortlessly.
I blinked. "What- how?" I said confused. "I spent years being called a pipe cleaner with eyes." He said while rolling his eyes.
Spencer had already started putting my stuff up. "Why the rush?" I laughed while handing him one of my books. "I want you to feel at home." He smiled. I tsked. "My home is where you are." I said.
He chuckled to himself for a second.
I wandered into his room, which was now our room. "Hey Spence, is there enough room for my stuff in your closet and drawers?" I asked looking at the frame. "There should be." He called out from the kitchen. This place may be vintage and whimsical but it definitely needed my touch to it. I pushed his clothes to one side of the closet. There was a few hangers there but not enough for my clothes, that is why I brought all of my hangers with me.
Spencer walked in and stared at the bed for approximately 1.5 seconds. "Why is there 98 hangers on our bed?" He asked confused. "That was some fast counting." I said while continuing to hang my clothes.
He smiled and started to clear out one side of the dresser for me.
After I finished my shirts and jackets, I folded my pants and put them into the second drawer.

After 2 hours of being there, it was like I've lived here for a while.
I walked around the apartment for a second. Before we left Meredith had asked me to call her when we got there.

Lexie: I forgot to call  you earlier, we've been here for about 2 hours.
Lexie: First thing Spencer and I did was get me settled in.
Meredith: Ironic.
Lexie: Very funny Mer
Meredith: I know right. Do you remember that trick you used to do to get Zola to calm down?
Lexie: Obviously, I used to cradle her and rub her back in a slow motion.
Meredith: I'll have to try later, right now she's napping which means I'll be awake later.
Meredith: I'm going to let you go, it's almost 9 here. I'm sure you and Spencer have lots to do.
Lexie: We do. Love you, goodnight.
Meredith: Love you too. Bye.
"Was that Meredith?" Spencer asked. "Yeah, just a quick chat." I replied. "Do you want to go to Rossi's tomorrow night for dinner?" Spencer asked. It took me a minute to process. "Yeah of course! I'd love to meet him properly." I smiled while changing into my sleep wear.
"The rest of my team will be there as well." Spencer added. "Perfect! Can't wait." I said while giving him a hug.
I still had to apply for one of the hospitals and meet his mother, but I knew how important it was to him.