The Beginning of the End

"I'd like your help on a case."

There goes your jaw again. You can't believe what you had heard. You're only 17 years old, have never actually been in the field, or solved a case. All you did was watch a TV show, research some of the most notorious serial killers, not even bothering with the ones that are more "normal", and read a couple books on the subject. You were just your average teenage girl. You had volleyball, you were too busy, no way could you do this. You could barely pass Algebra 2, how are you suppose to catch a serial killer? Why was the FBI asking a teenager for help anyways?

"I-I..." was all you could say.

"I understand this is a lot to take in." Agent Hotchner said with a understanding voice.

Sr. Chido put a comforting hand on your shoulder and you look up at him, a little fear showing on your face. He notices and softs his eyes. In a soft and quiet voice he spoke. "I chose you because I see the way your eyes light up when you tell me about the things you learned from something you read. The shy girl who can barely present in class blossoms into this assertive and confident young lady when you speak on these topics. When you read during class, and yes I see your book under your desk, your tongue pokes out the corner of your mouth as you concentrate. I know you can do this, I believe in you. You're incredibly smart and meticulous, if I didn't think you were strong enough, I wouldn't have brought you here. That said, there is absolutely no pressure whatsoever. If this is too much, we can leave the conversation here and pretend this never happened."

You were a bit embarrassed that your teacher knows you are reading during his class, but are elated at the fact that he trusts you enough to join this case.

"I'm sure you have plenty of questions and concerns. How about we discuss what you would be getting into and then you can think it over tonight and get back to me tomorrow. That's if you want to know. If you want to leave now, that's no issue, but I trust that you'll keep this conversation between the three of us." Agent Hotchner says looking down at you. Although the classroom is dark, his eyes glisten as you stare at them. A sense of comfort wraps around you like a hug.

After a moment of thinking to yourself, you looked up at Agent Aaron Hotchner. "What does the job entail?" You try to sound smart and sophisticated around Agent Hotchner, needing to prove your worth and not let Sr. Chido down. He believes in you so you can't mess this up. This opportunity is everything you have ever wanted and more, you couldn't, no, you wouldn't mess this up.

A smile forms on Sr. Chido's face and you nod to him in return.

"Glad you asked. Y/n before I go too far into this, you need to understand this is nothing like the shows you've watched and the books you have read, this is real life." Agent Hotchner says, narrowing his eyes. You look up at him, nodding. You didn't know exactly what you are getting yourself into, but you know this could potentially be dangerous, to not only yourself physically, but to your psyche as well.

Agent Aaron Hotchner went over his warning, watching you careful for any sign of discomfort or confusion. You nod throughout his long speech, occasionally looked over at Sr. Chido needing some familiarity to comfort you. You still were in shock. You never thought your day would end with you working with the FBI on a real case.

"Are you okay Y/n?" Sr. Chido asks you once Agent Hotchner finishes his speech, his voice soft. You all know these are delicate topics and you have never been truly exposed to such raw information.