Restless!

Natalie glanced at the wall clock in the living room. It was almost ten in the night. She felt really tired after the whole day. Managing the inn without any help was time consuming. She, Jason and Aunt Ruth had finished dinner by eight . Her aunt had retired to her room an hour back while Jason had gone out to meet some of his old pals. Natalie had decided to watch some TV till bedtime. But the whole time her mind had been replaying the conversation she had with Jason. Why would Jason say that Derek Morgan had some sort of interest in her? And worse that she felt the same way. The only thing Derek Morgan was interested in was this inn. Definitely not her! And well...she might have been slightly attracted to Derek. But in her defense the man looked like a Greek god. And she was after all just a woman for god's sake! Besides she was not going to act on it or anything Natalie thought. 

                        Natalie got up from the couch and switched off the TV. There was no point in staying up for Jason. She had no idea when he would be back. She switched off the lights in the living room, checked all the doors and windows making sure that they were locked and walked back up to her room upstairs. 

                        The inn was really quite this time of night. She peeked into her aunt's room to make sure she was alright. Seeing that her aunt was asleep, Natalie closed the room behind her. 

                        Natalie then started walking towards her room. It was then that she noticed Derek's room. The door was slightly ajar and the lights still on. Derek hadn't joined them for dinner that night, saying he had some business calls to make. But Natalie didn't believe him. He was still upset with Jason Natalie thought. Natalie entered her room and closed the door behind her. She washed herself and changed into her night dress. She lay down on her bed ready to sleep. After twenty minutes of tossing and turning she gave up. For some reason Natalie was beginning to feel restless.  

                        "Its not my fault! Jason was the one who had cracked up some stupid joke...Why am I feeling so guilty and anxious then?!" Natalie whined. "I've even apologized on Jason's behalf..I should be able to sleep now.." Natalie chided herself. If only it were that easy...

                        Ten minutes later Natalie made up her mind. She would not be able to sleep unless she made sure that Derek, her guest she reminded herself, was alright. It was her responsibility as a host to make sure her guests were comfortable she reasoned. Besides Derek hadn't had dinner. He would feel hungry later. So Natalie got out of bed, wrapped a night robe around herself and went downstairs to the kitchen. She decided to make a sandwich. It would give her a reason to go to his room and she would apologize again to Derek if he was still upset.

                        A few minutes later Natalie was walking up the stairs carrying a tray with the sandwich and warm milk. She was feeling a bit nervous going upto Derek Morgan. The man gave her butterflies in her stomach. But she had to do this. She had no choice. Damn you Jason! Natalie thought.

                        Meanwhile.....

                        Derek was feeling tired. He had been on calls since evening. There had been some issue at work with some client who was threatening to back out of a deal as he had some doubts with the legality of the house. Derek dealt with the client himself and assured the client that all the legal work was genuine and after two hours of assurance the client had finally agreed. He was hungry and exhausted. He had missed dinner today with Natalie and Ruth...and ofcourse that pest Jason.

                        Derek didn't want to see anyone anyway after the incident at lunch. He was still a bit irritated with Natalie. Although it wasn't her fault...he didn't know why. She should know better than to be with such a fool Derek thought. But whenever he saw Natalie looking at Jason, she always looked at him with such love and admiration. Derek hated that. Love must be real blind he thought. It was good he missed those love birds at dinner anyway. Besides this whole situation just helped Derek put things into  perspective. He had to start planning his next move. He had to have this inn. 

                        Derek looked at his wristwatch. It was fifteen past ten. He decided to take a shower. He would later decide whether to eat or just go to bed. Derek grabbed a towel and headed for his shower.

                        Natalie stood outside Derek's room nervously. Shuffling her feet she knocked at his door. She waited but there was no reply. Maybe he was asleep... She knocked once more, a bit louder this time. Still no reply. Natalie thought of going back to her room but she was still carrying the tray with the food. "I'll just leave it at his bedside. In case he gets hungry during the night." Natalie said to herself.

                        Balancing the tray with one hand she pushed back the door with the other and entered into the room. The door creaked a bit on opening. Natalie winced. She had to get someone up here to oil the hinges. Walking inside the first thing she noticed were the upturned shopping bags on the bed. Jeans and shirts were piling out. So someone finally decided to heed advice, Natalie smiled to herself. Not finding Derek inside the room she decided to head back out. It wasn't right to be in his room alone she thought. But then she noticed his cell phone was still on the bedside table. Derek usually carries it around with him always Natalie thought. Maybe he went down to his car to fetch something Natalie thought. "I'll just put down this tray and leave" Natalie decided.

                        Natalie placed the food tray next to his cellphone so that Derek didn't miss it. Turning around she was about to leave when Derek's phone started ringing.  The sudden ringing alarmed Natalie and she almost fell on the bed. The phone kept ringing and Derek wasn't around. What was she supposed to do Natalie thought. Natalie grabbed the phone and then saw the caller ID. It showed the picture of a very stunning woman. Natalie just held the phone and sat on the bed. The ID said Sophie. Maybe it was his girlfriend Natalie thought. Or else why would she be calling Derek at this time of the day Natalie wondered. Imagining Derek with this gorgeous woman left a bad taste in Natalie's mouth. 

                        The phone then stopped ringing. Thank God! Natalie thought. Right now sitting on Derek's bed and holding his phone, Natalie felt like a sneak-thief. She should be walking out of here this instant. She could just imagine what Derek would think if walked in here right now. Hurrying now  Natalie was just halfway up from the bed when she heard a voice behind her.

                        "Ms. Thompson...Is it just for me or do you go through all your guest's stuff?" Derek demanded.