The Bump

Having always been an early riser,Natalie woke up by seven in the morning. She took her bath and stood in front of the mirror drying her hair with a dryer. She didn't get a good night's sleep yesterday. She could lightly see the dark cicles under her eyes. She swiched off the dryer having dried her hair and stood back watching her reflection in mirror. Her skin was pale she thought. Since childhood no amount of time under the sun could ever give her a tan. She hated that! She wasn't exactly thin but a little chubby maybe she thought. Her height wasn't very impressive either. She hated her hair too. It was a giant mass of unruly curls that could never be tamed. She had given up on it a long time back. The only thing unique about her were her eyes. Violet! An uncommon mutation the doctors had told her family. It made her stand out when all she wanted to do was fit in and be forgotten. She never liked the attention they got her. It was as though her eyes were the only part of her that people were interested in besides her breasts, which not to mention were quite big. She was used to men ogling her. It made her quite uncomfortable. Yesterday she saw the Morgan guy checking her out too. But instead of wanting to punch his face for his rudeness she felt all tingly when his eyes roamed all over her body. God!  She couldn't decide who was more disgusting..he for staring or her for enjoying. What was wrong with her! 

                                    She admitted that he wasn't the only one at fault. She had been fascinated by him too.He had  the most amazing blue eyes she had ever seen on a man. It reminded her of the ocean and the secrets it hid within its depths. And from near he was even more formidable if that were even possible. His height made her to tilt her head up when talking to him. When walking out of Ruth's room she caught a whiff of his scent. It was earthy and so very male. And his body... No! Not going there again!  Natalie buried those thoughts away and got dressed. Time to face the enemy...

                                Derek woke up to the blaring ringtone of his mobile phone. "Who the hell is calling?" he snapped at the person on the other end.

                                    "Woke up on the wrong side of the bed,did we?" the other person joked.

                                  "Damn Dave!" Derek threw back the covers and got out of the bed. "Where the hell have you been for the last six months?"

                                     Dave was the only friend Derek had. Five years back they had been business rivals. They both had been very good at what they did. But then gradually their rivalry changed to mutual respect and then turned to friendship. He was one friend Derek could blindly trust. A year back Dave got married to a spendid woman,Claire. Derek had been the best man at the wedding. He had not seen Dave so happy before. Derek had never seen two people so totally in love. He admitted he felt a bit envious of Dave. But the marriage had ended badly. Dave still wouldn't tell Derek what had gone wrong. His friend's failed marriage opened his eyes to the reality. He promised himself he wouldn't ever make the mistake again.