Chapter 15. A Heart of Darkness

Kaylee awakened disoriented and confused. She had a pounding headache, and her vision was blurry. She yawned and decided to go back to sleep when she heard explosions and gun fire. She sat up quickly and looked around. This was not her bedroom. She was laying on a filthy small bed in an old building that looked like it was about to fall with the torn ragged walls and dust.

Memories of what happened to her came rushing back. She'd been kidnapped by several men dressed in black clothing and shades. At first, she thought it was the hackers, but Brandon had nothing to do with Kanna and then she realized, it was probably because of her. Her worst nightmare had come true. Someone had kidnapped her to get revenge on Brandon.

Kaylee walked over to look out the window. Her body still sluggish from the drugs. Alarm went through her when she realized how high she was. The building was old, she was on the 6th floor and there was a war going on below.

War.

It was the only word she could think from the vision before her.

There were over a hundred of them fighting as if their lives depended on it. The sun was setting, casting an eerie glow on the city. Welcome to Oakland she read the sign in the background. Oakland was currently...burning...at least one part of it was.

Kaylee watched the dark smoke rise in the air over several buildings surrounding her. There were men yelling in anger, pain, fear as they ran out of the buildings. Some burnt, others coughing...shouting curses at who ever had set their home on fire.

She stood at the window as if in a trance, wanting to look away, wanting to run, but couldn't. And that's when she saw him.

Brandon.

He was staring at her with a look of pure menace in his dark eyes. She knew that look wasn't for her. It was for the gang members he was fighting. His men covered him as soon as he started running to her, but still some of the gangsters got through, determined to stop Brandon from getting to Kaylee. They knew once he did, it was completely over for them, but nothing could stop Brandon.

He was ruthless in his quest to get to her. Kaylee gasped and covered her mouth as she watched him easily dispatch the men attacking him. One was stabbed in the throat, another punched in the nose, another shot in the head and he did it without breaking his stride. Ten men suddenly piled on top of him. Kaylee could hear his feral roar from her window as Brandon broke loose with terrifying strength throwing bodies everywhere.

Oh my God, Kaylee thought. She could feel it, pure darkness had taken over him. She had tried so hard to stop it. There was nothing she could do now, except hold him close once he reached her and hope her light could save him somehow. Brandon entered the building with his men right behind him. They had all come to save her. She gasped in shock when she saw the others...was that...Kale, Aidan, Taylor and the twins following close behind them? What on earth?!

Groans and moans of men in agony could be heard along with running footsteps and guns going off. She didn't even want to imagine what Brandon was doing to them.

Someone suddenly ran into her room. She realized it was the blonde kid that she'd seen in Brandon's office. He ran to her with a wild look in his eyes and grabbed her, holding a gun to her head.

"This is all your fault, bitch!" he yelled at her.

"How? You kidnapped me!" Kaylee told him.

"I didn't know he would go crazy like this. I didn't know...he killed all my men...I just wanted to show him he couldn't go around dictating people lives for coming to him for help. I wanted to show him he didn't have power over us!"