Prolouge

Clove's POV

I try to stop the tears from coming, but one slips through, and the rest follow. I wish there was a comforting hand to help me. But alas. I'm alone in this bathroom. You don't need anyone. You don't need anyone. You don't need anyone. I tell myself, over and over again. I try to force myself to stop crying. It doesn't work. BANG BANG BANG. 
"Clover! Let me in!" Cato's voice rings. Hell no. Don't do this to me. Do you realize what you're doing? My parents are home, Cato. Leave. 
The bangs of Cato pleading are still there. It's been how long? It feels like hours. Shouldn't he be off with his new girl? I finally open the door. 
"Clover! Finally, now let me explain"
"Get the fuck away from me. You don't love me!" I yell at him, still in my vulnerable state. 
"But Clo-"
"Leave!" I yell at him. How badly I want to run into his arms? As much as I want to forgive him right now. 

Cato's POV

"Clover! Clover! For the love of God, let me in!" I beg, pounding on the door. "Please!!" I hear somebody come to the door. Finally! I think as the door opens.
"Clover! Finally, now let me explain!"
"Get the fuck away from me. You don't love me!" She yells at me, standing there. Her green eyes meet mine and I see emptiness.
"But Clo-" I begin
"Leave!" She tells me once.
"I know that you don't want to see me, I wouldn't either, but I need to talk to you! Please, let me explain!" I push myself into the room, desperate to just explain to her. She backs up.
"Get the fuck away from me before you have a knife in your back." She yells at me. She has a few knives in her hand.
"Clover, please-" She throws the knife just to the left of me.
"Get out. Or I won't miss next time." Tears stream down her cheeks.
"But I-"
"Get out!" Clove screams at me sobbing, "Get out!" she's hysterical, then my Clover lunges at me, knife in hand. She has me pinned down in a matter of seconds but I don't find myself trying to fight back. She's just about to slit my throat when she crumbles to the floor. 
"I can't. Why can't I?" she whispers to herself. She sits there for a while. 
"Get out." 
"But Clove-"
"Get out, Cato. Leave. We're done." My body stands up and I can't think about anything else besides the fact how much I've hurt her. I close the door and walk out of her house. Her father slams the door right after I exit and I fall onto my knees. 

CLOVE'S POV

Why couldn't I kill that bastard. Why? Why? The door whips open. My father enters the room. 
"The hell are you crying for? How are you going to win the Games when you wail like this when a boy cheats on you?" He kicks me in my stomach and I convulse. 
"Stop crying, you little weakling. Get up." I stand up, using the sink as guidance. He slaps me hard across the face. I hold my face and know that there will be a red mark.
"If a simple slap can hurt you that badly you can forget about the Games. You'd die in the bloodbath and bring all of District 2 shame. I might as well kill you right here and right now." 
"Please-" I begin. Slap
"And stop crying," he says, leaving the room. I nod. And immediately go to check my cheek. Red, as expected. How am I going to show up to school like this tomorrow?

CATO'S POV

It's nighttime when I finally get up. I walk home. Looking down at the ground the whole time.

Clover, I need you.