Chapter 1

Clove's POV

9 years ago (2nd grade)
I walk into the classroom keeping my head down. Today is my first day at the District 2 Training Academy. Father thought it would be a good idea for me to start training here in 2nd grade. Since I knew all the stuff below they taught. Mommy said I was a whiz at throwing knives. A boy bumps into me, just at the door. I fall forward and land on my knees, dropping all my books.
"Hey! Laran!" He waves to a friend. I start to gather my things as he kneels down beside me to help
"Sorry about that" he tells me, handing me my folder. I snatch it and stand up. I meet his eyes, blue and icy, 
"Cato." He extends his hand. I growl and shove past him. 

5 years later (6th grade)

"Your training partners are up!" Mrs. Lyme says. I walk over to the list and people there sink with disappointment, but also squeal with happiness. I take a deep breath and remember that this will be the partner that I will train with until I am 18. Once I'm almost at the front of the line, a boy shoves me back, and I am in the back of the crowd again. The boy walks out of the crowd. Looking not happy nor upset. 
"Hey!" I yell at him. He turns around, a pair of blue eyes meet my green ones. I make a rude noise 
"Of course its you. Who else would shove me back?" I sneer at him
"Well sorry. I guess I didn't see you." Cato says, shrugging his shoulders. 
"Now I'll never see who I'm paired up with!" 
"Oh I can tell you that." my eyes light up.
"Well, who am I with?" I demand
"First, you have to forgive me for what happened in 2nd grade" He grins his signature grin. The grin that made every girl in the Academy, day-dream about him. Every girl but me. I huff.
"No way." I turn my back on him and start to shove my way into the crowd. But being small doesn't help here. Cato chuckles at my pathetic attempts. After just 4 tries, I give up and turn back at him, and say
"I forgive you." He grins
"I'm your partner." 
"Never mind, I don't forgive you."
"What you think I'm lying?"  I turn my back and walk away. 

3 years ago (8th grade)

Over the years Cato and I actually became close. I actually enjoyed lunch now that I had someone to sit with. Cato introduced me to some of his friends over the years, but really, they're all just basically idiots. Nothing compared to Cato. He sits down next to me while I'm bringing the spoon to my lips, the warm broth enters my mouth and my hunger is slightly subdued. 
"Hey" I say as I dunk the spoon back into the bowl. He sets down his tray.
"Hey" Cato responds. He takes a sip of his soup and sets his spoon back down.
"Okay so, I was training today like usual right?" I nod, my attention completely on him
"And this girl walks by.." my heart sinks. My smile fades.
"she has these bouncy blonde- hey you ok?" I immediately look up and plaster a fake smile on my face.
"Yeah, why?"
"I don't know, you deflated once I started talking" My eyes search for an explanation. 
"I just realized that I think I forgot to do the laundry, my mother is going to kill me!" I blurt. Cato knows how hard it is at home with my parents. 
"Uhh, okay?" Cato says, clearly not convinced. He looks like he wants to say more, but he pauses, then starts talking about the same girl.
"Like I was saying, she had bouncy blonde curls, and she could throw a spear like it was nothing." I can throw a spear like its nothing. Not like you notice though

3 months later (nearly the end of 8th grade)
"Clove!" he yells. I turn around and he's running towards me. I stop walking and let him catch up to me. 
"Hey!" Cato says, his dirty blonde hair is slightly droopy today, but I know if I told him that, the conversation would just turn to his hair. 
"Whats up loser!" I yell back at him, he catches up to me and slows down, I start walking again. 
"So I was wondering," Cato looks slightly nervous, I've never seen that face on him
"Nerves don't look good on you" I laugh. He takes a deep breath and laughs.
"I was just wondering if you have any plans on Sunday" 
"Uh no? Not other than just throwing knives and having 14 fights with my parents like I do everyday."
"Oh thats great!" I cock my head,
"I mean- do you wanna go somewhere together on Sunday?" 
"You mean a date?" I ask, not trying to hide my amusement. 
"Yeah," He says, looking down. 
"Sure,"  I say simply. 

1 year later (the end of 9th grade)
I start my daily walk to Cato's locker, it's not too far away, but a good amount. He's not there, so I might as well use this time, I walk into the girl's locker room, I haven't peed all day, I think to myself. Just as I open the door I see a girl pushing Cato against the wall. She kisses him with such force I'm sure the walls are struggling to hold up. Cato doesn't retaliate. I don't have to pee anymore. In fact, I think I just peed myself. 
"BITCH" I scream at them I yank the door open, throw myself out of the damn locker room and run out. Tears stream from my face as Cato tries to get me to slow down, but the sea of people refuses to let him, the bell just rang, kids are going home. I crash down on the floor and nobody takes notice. My head turns back to see Cato a few yards away from me. I get up and push through the crowd of people getting to the door. I run all the way home. Only stopping to see if Cato is behind me, I fall into my house and my parents turn their heads to look at me. Cato arrives just minutes after I do. I rush into the bathroom and I try not to let the tears seep through my eyes. I hear him banging on the bathroom door and figure that my bitch of a mother let him in. Fuck her. God, can she ever just leave me alone?
"Clover, please"