Chapter 10

Chapter 10

The message came early the next morning before the sun peaked over the horizon. The presence of the High General's family was requested at the emperor's winter hunt. I knew that as part of our plan, Gōng Gong would keep General Teng occupied at residence up north, but even so, the General's wife was a close friend of the empress. Sixi's presence at the hunt would be expected, even if the girl hardly a horse's head from its rear.

It would be an offense to the emperor if representatives of our family didn't show up at the hunt. The last thing I needed before leaving town to deliver Alix to Gōng Gong was to attract unnecessary attention. 

That's wasn't the only reason I decided to attend. It was the Imperial forces that Julong Tian was fleeing from on that fateful day when he left me to die. In my imagination, I liked to think that after he abandoned me he was captured and imprisoned. In my fondest fantasies, I liked to think that he was quartered with a rusty ax by the Imperial soldiers and then thrown into a boiling vat of oil to die for his petty sins.

That must be why Julong never looked for me, to see if I were still alive after the villagers and then later, the Ashe Mountain outlaws, got to me. Yes, the Imperial soldiers got to Julong first. His bones were picked dry by the sparrowhawks in the fields of Henan and his soul had long since going to Diyu. It was a comforting thought that he must have already been reincarnated as an impotent soft-shelled turtle by now. Perhaps, he was hoping that we could be rejoined in another life. Despite my misdeeds, I was too beautiful to be reincarnated as a turtle. Perhaps the Lao Tian Ye would allow me to be reincarnated as a turtle-humping snake instead. 

All jokes aside, I decided to go to the hunt because maybe, just maybe, I could find out what happened to Julong four years ago. Also, I needed a diversion to keep me occupied before Gōng Gong sends word as to where he was meeting me to pick up my werewolf prisoner.

I decided to take Alix with me to the hunt as my manservant because I was afraid he would take this opportunity to escape. He, along with my other servants, met me at the gate where my horse carriage was waiting. He was wearing a servant's hanfu made of coarse linen. Alix was wearing a dark blue jacket that showed off the width of his shoulders. He raised the silk curtain of my carriage for me to enter and walked beside my carriage. Although we were accompanied by three other servants, I decided to play with fate and make small talk with him to ease the boredom of the long trek to the hunting grounds.

"Ai-li-xi," I say pronouncing each character of his name separately, "Tell me again the story about the fearsome werewolf and his beloved fox spirit."

"I think I've told you that story too many times, my lady," Alix replied without averting eyes from the forested road ahead. "Perhaps, I should concentrate on guarding you against the highway bandits."

I wondered if he was making a jab at me because of what he knew about Julong and his chosen profession. I had to remind myself that Alix could know all sorts of things, that I didn't tell him because of this infernal mate bond.

"What is a highway bandit when compared to a mighty werewolf king? Do you mean that mere humans with spears and swords can defeat a wolf-man who draws his powers from the moon goddess herself?"

Alix chuckled at that. He finally flashed his playful yet mocking eyes at me.

"The werewolf is more man than beast at the present."

"Do you mean he does not have the power to shift into a beast even to save the life of his beloved virginal mate?" I meant it teasingly but Alix didn't laugh.

"The truth is, it has been many months since the shift has happened," Alix admitted and shrugged his shoulders. I could see the outline of his muscular chest even through the loose linen fabric. "Perhaps, a kiss from the maiden has driven away the beast."

"What use is a man without the beast?" I demanded, finally letting the annoyance show in my voice. Was this really true? Did Alix lose the ability to shift into his other form? Is that why the slave driver was holding him captive?

 Oh heavens, was Gōng Gong even going to want this useless mutt now?

"If the beast were here, I doubt that a little girl with the power of a fox spirit could keep him from what he wants," Alix told me. "Are you sure you know what it is that you want?"

I sat back in my carriage and slammed my palm against the edge of the wooden frame of the window. I drew the silk shade and nearly screamed in anger. All this time I thought I was holding Alix captive with my spells and my charm. The truth was that Alix couldn't shift. That was the only reason I still had my claws around him. I needed to help him restore his ability before I could fulfill my debt to my prison warden, lest Kujui accuses me of bringing him the wrong prisoner!