Chapter 40

Chapter 40

Daoming listened to me explain how I transferred Zurui's chi into his body and, through the powers inside of the dagger, made him more powerful than the late pretender to the Alpha throne ever had been.

"Perhaps this was the will of the ancient kings, for you to bring peace to the empire by becoming the strongest of the Lángrén. You were not destined to subjugate them. You were destined to become one of them."

"Why didn't you just let me die?" Daoming muttered and rubbed the back of his hand against his nose. I could tell he was fighting back tears, but he would not let me see them. He had too much pride, even now, as he sat in rags in a donkey cart above a burning valley.

"Is that really what you have preferred?"

"Yes! Now you've made me into a creature, a monster. I can never go home again."

"You once loved a creature. Can't you find it in your heart to love your new people?"

"I—" Daoming began, but he swallowed his words as he stared into my eyes. "I suppose you're right, Selene. There has been a day in the past five years when I haven't thought about you. Perhaps, I just need time to accept my new identity."

"Being a werewolf isn't all bad," I offered and took his bruised hand in mine. His bones were larger; his muscles were larger than before. His hand almost completely enveloped mine. Even his human form was larger than that of most men. I wondered what his werewolf form would look like. Unlike Alix, Daoming's wolf was a creature who came blessed by the emperors of myth. Too bad, I didn't believe I would stay long enough to see him in that glorious shape. "You will not age as fast as humans do. You will heal much faster. You will not need weapons to fight because you will have your claws. Perhaps, this wasn't a complete curse."

"Selene, you seem so small in comparison to me now. I fear I will hurt you when I touch you."

I laughed. "Don't worry, Your Highness, many wolves have tried in the past couple of days, but few have succeeded."

"Don't call me Your Highness. It brings grief to my heart to hear that title."

"Then how about, Alpha?"

"I suppose I could get used to it," Daoming sat back and leaned against the side of the wagon. He stared up at the stars and seemed to smile. "Will you accompany me in my discovery of my new abilities?"

"No," I whispered and stared down at my feet. I was still wearing the silk slippers he had given me though they were filthy now. The gold songbirds embroidered into the creamy silk could still be seen even through all the filth. That seemed fitting for a creature like me. I was always hidden behind a layer of dirt, staring up at the sky, waiting to be found.

"Will you go back to him?"

"I want to return to Xuyi Mountain, where I grew up. I want to work as a medicine woman again, be away from all this war and fighting. Your destiny is elsewhere, Daoming. You will lead the werewolves, become their king, help them fight your father who seeks to enslave them."

"And one day, when I've built my empire of wolves, foxes, monkeys, and snakes, will you return to me and rule beside me? We'll rule happily until the end of the world — just the two of us and all our yāoguài subjects?"

"Perhaps," I replied with a small, helpless smile.

"Then that's enough." Daoming sat back and pinched some tears out of his eyes. "Tell your wolfman to be afraid, very afraid. One day I'll come for you, and next time you'll choose me."

"Perhaps in the years to come, you'll find a beautiful she-wolf to rule by your side. And then you'll forget about me."

"Never, Selene. I could tell you stories until the end of the world about all the pretty young noblewomen my mother tried to tie me to. I'll always find you, even if only in my dreams."