5

A few years passed steadily and Evan grew familiar with his surroundings. It was perhaps because of his habits and work ethics from his previous life because he felt that learning came easier to him in this world. He was able to read and write quickly. In fact, the language of this world, or empire he should say, was like a combination of thai-like lettering and simple romanized alphabet structure overall. Evan turned 8 just a few weeks before and his parents were like proud birds.

Evan pouted at the maid still putting another coat on him. It was winter in Emberfield and snow covered the grounds of the mansion like a duvet. He glanced at the window, admiring the falling snowflakes and the icy framing on the glass.

The maids helping to dress the young master could only awe in their hearts at how innocent the young master looked. They felt they could squeeze him to death if they were allowed to hug him. Finally, the last coat was on and Evan waddled out of the swarming maids like a penguin. His last coat was a white cotton puff jacket, which made him look almost as though he was a walking cotton ball.

He managed to escape out of his room before the maids could catch him, running along as the white light outside illuminating the dark blue hallways through large windows. He made several turns before reaching out to turn a door handle. He peeked inside and saw his mother wave happily for him to sit with her.

"Darling, come here!" she picked him up and set him next to her, kissing his forehead.

Evan looked at the meeting and realized he was in front of the FL, Lily. He wanted to smile and greet her but with the icy atmosphere in the room, he could only retain a neutral face.

"Please, my Lord, everything I've said is the truth. Your brother has sent me to deliver his dying wish," the old greasy nobleman stammered, his face sweating from the pressure.

"So my brother would rather contact a stranger before his own family?" Andreas sneered, "Do you think I'm stupid?"

The nobleman seized up, looking down at his feet in fear. He then timidly continued, "Lily has been in the orphanage for years, suffering and almost dying before I managed to find her. She's truly your brother's blood child, one of the Moonbridges as well. I swear it!"

Lilly who sat beside him also looked down, a few sobbing noises rose from her. She stared back up frightfully with large pink eyes. Indeed, she did inherit Moonbridge's golden blond hair, contrasting to Evan's silken black hair from his mother.

Evan almost wanted to shake his head at this storyline, it was so fantastical that it felt fake. But Lily was the FL after all, so it really wasn't far from the truth.

"Fine then," Andreas finally caved after rubbing his temples in distress. He would deal with the girl later. Right now, she could live in the guest house for all he cared. He gripped the letter evidence that the nobleman had laid on the table and scowled, his now-deceased brother was no angel anyways.

The old nobleman smiled his greasy smile, patting Lily's shoulder. Although Evan felt it was more of a sly smirk. What's important now was that Lily had arrived earlier than the plotline. It was moments like these that he wished he had played the game more thoroughly with Leo and Ava. He maintained his neutral smile, grateful that he inherited that from his mother instead of his father's icy wooden face. (lol no hate, I love Andreas but seriously, he needs to smile at people other than his wife and child LMAO ( T v T ) )

The adults soon left the room, leaving him staring at Lily in uncomfortable silence. He had wanted to follow his mother but she only patted his head, signaling for him to stay seated.

Evan: <(`^')> I don't want to though.

Still, he stayed. He was preparing to say something when Lily broke the silence.

"You're Evan?" she asked. Her expression was no longer teary, but a strange kind smile.

Evan nodded, feeling uncomfortable. "And you are?"

Lily pulled at her short hair, "Um... I'm Liliana, but everyone calls me Lily."

He nodded and calmly tried to drink his tea, slightly shaking at the thought that he was actually meeting the main character a game that he used to play. The silence continued, which made Evan feel more awkward, but he didn't know Lily that well since the game only provided info on her when she turned 16. Lily was currently only 11. This Lily was still a child, she looked as healthy as any child; there was no scar and no malnourishment. She didn't look like how he imagine the FL to look like from the backstory. Evan refrained himself from judging and chose to stay neutral; it wasn't his business since he won't be getting involved with her more than neccesary.

He was never one to be obsequious and cling to a golden thigh anyways. He's rather not get emotionally involved with such situations. The only difference was that the way she dressed wasn't as deocrated. He was about to leave when he heard sobbing.

"I knew it. You hate me, don't you," Lily face was once again teary.

Evan looked up at her in shock and surprise, but Lily had already burst out of the room while trailing an echo of sniffles. Evan wanted to stop her but he couldn't keep up. Why did he have to be so short, and fluffy at this time. ˃ʍ˂

Without looking, Lily had stumbled into Andreas, looking up with tearful eyes.

The nobleman next to them immediately showed a concerned expression, "Lily, what happened to you? Did young master Evan hurt you?"

Although he said it as a question, his tone sound as if he just made a statement.

Andreas' face remained wooden but Evan could see his mother's glare starting directly at Lily, something Evan thought was not possible for his soft-spoken mother. Elena practically grew up within the toxic social groups of noble girls all competing to keep face and knew when someone was faking. She hardly knew the child and usually would let such things pass. But to accuse her son, that was unforgivable.

Evan was still trying to catch up from afar and he hesitated, this was not a good day.