7 - You

a/n: please play the above instrumental when I give this signal : (ooo). I think it's beautiful.

-

'Gentle notes of music flowed out, filling the room with an aura of serene peace. Light fingers danced across the ivory keys under the dark moonlit room. Empty yet full of presence. Warmer than the sun despite being shrouded by the night. You whose face I cannot see. My eyes can't help but look your way.' 

-Lily of Emberfield Chapter 4-

-----

The party was at a grand stage, classical music in the air as couples waltz across the glistening marble floor. Warm lights gave the ballroom an intimate scene. Next to his parents, Evan can spot the twins at the drinks table daring each other to guzzle down another nasty combination of juice, booze, and whatever else they added in the multi-colored cup.

Alix slapped his knee in laughter after Aaron gulped down the liquid, gagging so hard his eyes turned red. Evan almost laughed too if his father wasn't speaking with the envoy of the Eastern Empire right beside him.

"I hope our welcome has sufficed your expectations," Andreas asserted politely.

The man in the dark blue robes, decorated with a gold crafted belt nodded, "We are honored to receive such lively celebrations for our arrival. I hope Lord Andreas would not be angry for our lack of skills in your culture's dance."

"Not at all," Andreas waved a hand, "As long as you enjoy yourselves."

Evan felt bored at their talk, wanting an escape, he silently walked down towards the crowd. He immediately spotted the one person who seemed to repel all other people around him.

The fourth protagonist was just standing by the wall, gaze lost in the blur of the room. Without his white mask, his features were exposed. Sharp brows, phoenix eyes, his lips a tinted red from the warm lights around them. 

Because of his face, a few brave young ladies reached out to ask for a dance. But having already played the game, Evan knew that Hua Xinyi not only ignored them because he couldn't stand the Western Empire but also scrunched his brows in disgust when they persist.

Seeing that the twins were still distracted, Evan took the chance to approach this enigma that was Hua Xinyi. When he walked close enough, Hua Xinyi finally looked up, a bit of surprise on his features.

"Hello," Evan smiled, "You must be part of the envoy from the Eastern Empire."

Hua Xinyi could tell that wasn't a question. He looked on at this boy, slight amusement when he realized, he had seen this one before at the town center. A boy with hair dark as ebony and eyes the most piercing color he's ever seen. For one, nobody in the whole Eastern Empire has ever had such light-colored eyes. Most people from the East had dark eyes, some golden, but never blue.

Evan saw the same amused smile again but it disappeared as quickly as it appeared the last time he saw Hua Xinyi.

"I'm Evan, it's great to meet someone from afar," Evan continued, not sure if he sounded friendly enough, "I heard the Eastern Empire is very beautiful and knowledgable."

Hua Xinyi looked back at him at that statement, it was quite rare for a Westerner to compliment his place of origin instead of scoffing at it.

"Hua Xinyi, courtesy name Hua Rong," He subconsciously put his hands together in an Eastern greeting, glancing to see if the other reacted badly.

"Hua Rong, is it fine if I call you Hua Xinyi?" Evan smiled, his gaze unchanged if not for a hint of amazement.

Hua Xinyi almost blushed at how naive the person in front of him looked, naive and innocent. It was unlike the harem that he often sees in the households of Eastern nobles and the emperor, pretty boys like Evan who would soften their voice and called out shamelessly to be touched.