Chap 28

Chapter twenty-eight

Margeux's POV

"Zayn?" she asked so softly she wasn't sure if he had heard her.

He hesitantly made his way downstairs as he kept his eyes on her.

She pulled her knees tighter to her as he stepped on the last step with his hand on the railing.

"What are you doing?" he whispered as if he was trying not to get her worked up.

She kept her eyes fixated on him. "Nothing..."

"Why are you sitting here dork?" he chuckled softly and Margeux couldn't help but smile.

"I just need a moment," she sighed as she broke their eye contact.

Zayn took a few more steps and slowly sat next to her, keeping his eyes on her.

Margeux felt her stomach flutter being that he was so close to her. He imitated her position as he raised his knees to his chest.

She turned and looked at him in his caring brown eyes.

"Now listen," he started, his voice still soft in a whisper. Margeux nodded before he continued.

"I don't want things to be awkward between us anymore. I know what happened...and we can't change that. I know this."

She nodded her head slowly in agreement.

She understood what Zayn was trying to say. He just wanted to be friends.

"And I was wondering if...you know...we could start all over? You know, as just friends."

"Friends," Margeux repeated the last word softly.

Why did that not seem right between the two of them?

"Why do you say it like that?" Zayn chuckled softly.

Margeux shrugged her shoulders as she smiled at him.

"I don't know...I guess I like it," she giggled.

"Great," he smiled.

She sighed. "Now what?"

He leaned his head back against the door and looked up at the high ceiling above them.

"I can't swim."

Margeux bit her bottom lip as she scrunched her eyebrows in confusion.

"What?"

He faced her and gave her a small smile. "I can't swim. I don't know how to swim."

A grin creeped upon her lips before she laughed. Zayn rolled his eyes at her.

"I'm sorry," she chuckled as her laughter died down. "You just-I would never expect to hear that from you."

He smiled at her. "Well good..."

Margeux stretched her legs out and crossed her right leg over her left. She brought her hands to her sides and pushed herself up straight slightly before she crossed her arms.

"I've never left Texas," she said, not really sure if it was a secret worthy of telling.

Zayn chuckled. "I had never been on a plane until One Direction."

"So you're saying if I join a boy band I'll be able to travel?" she asked teasingly.

"Where do you get that from?" Zayn laughed.

"I don't know..." she sighed.

"So why haven't you left Texas?" he questioned suddenly.

Margeux leaned her head back and closed her eyes.