Chapter 3

All eyes were on me as I froze in the doorframe. My mouth hung open in shock at how many people in dazzling clothes were watching me, expecting me to do what?

"Curtsey," the doorman whispered to me, his eyes still cast downwards in respect.

Fumbling a bit with my skirt, I hurriedly bent low, nearly falling head first in the process. As soon as I raised myself up once more, everyone went back to their conversations, a low murmur falling calmly over the hall.

Suddenly my mother was at my side, yanking my skirt into place and smoothing down my hair. Pushing me along, she started to mutter angrily in my ear.

"What do you think you are doing? Do I need to remind you the King and Queen are present. Standing there like a lemon, mouth wide open, what are they going to think?"

"I'm sorry Mamma," I apologised quietly.

From behind I could hear Ember being announced, although no one stopped for his entrance.

Stopping me in a group of finery, I crossed my hands over my lap and bowed my head, attempting to seem as small as possible. The feet that I could see were clad in the most expensive shoes I could imagine. Even a stupid Mage would have worked out they were the King, Queen and, unfortunately, Prince.

"Your Majesties," Elizabeth curtsied slightly, "this is my daughter Collette. The one I've been telling you about."

"Hmm," I heard a women murmur. "Look at me when I speak young Lady."

My cheeks burned as I tilted my head upwards. The Queen was exactly how she had been described to me, her blond hair piled high atop her moon like face and looking as large in her golden gown as possible. The King, on the other hand, was brown haired and wore a dark suit with countless buttons. The Prince, it seemed, was a mixture of both his parents. He wore his dark hair quite short so as to show off his crown and circular face.

"She's a bit small," the Queen tilted her head as she looked at me. Pointing at me she flicked upwards, "stand up straighter now Collette."

"She can't help her height hunny," the King sighed as I attempted to stretch my head up so I appeared taller.

My mother smiled at me great fully, I could see that she was nervous by the way she was wringing her hands. Just because I wasn't the perfect daughter who understood how to dance didn't mean I couldn't try to make my mother happy.

"Can you read young Lady?" The Queen questioned.

I nodded.

"And can you write?" The Queen continued.

I nodded once more.

"Am I to presume you did not teach your daughter to talk Lady Elizabeth?" The Queen sniffed condescendingly.

"Of course not your majesty, she is simply nervous," Elizabeth explain, nudging me in the back.

"I am sorry you highness, I have never been to a ball before and do not know the protocols," I explained, trying to sound humbly when in fact I felt as though the Queen wasn't being very nice to my mother.

The Queen frowned slightly, although not enough to create any creases upon her face. "But you do know about the dance, do you not?"

I nodded, "of course. I have been preparing just for it."

"Oh," the Queen smiled, "have you been learning how to dance?"

"Yes," I smiled back happily, thinking I was doing well.

"Interesting."

I glanced around at the others in my company. The King appeared to be bored and was simply allowing his wife to do what she wanted. Meanwhile, the Prince refused to look at me and my mother was shaking her head sadly. Obviously admitting I only just started dancing was the wrong thing for her.