Chapter 2

Back within my room, I struggled against my instincts of not standing still in one place for so long. I fidgeted as my ladies in waiting flittered around me, organising both my outfit and my hair.

This was quite a big night for my family. A night I did not want to be part of, except that I was being ultimately forced to. It was the first large ball I had been 'allowed' to attend. Although, to be honest, I had not wished to be a part of any of the others I had heard over the previous years. They sounded loud, stingy and to perfect for my liking.

The ball occurring tonight was special because the King and Queen of Holodania were attending. Not that they hadn't visited us before, but Mother finally accepted that I must be introduced to them soon. No one has come out and said anything to me yet, but I believe it is because Mother and Father are hoping that they will organise a betrothal between myself and the Prince. Especially as our family has been quite close to the royals for a while now, that is how we became Lord's and Lady's after all.

Obviously, I was thoroughly against this plan, not that I wouldn't love to be a Princess, but I didn't want my parents to choose my future partner for me. I wanted to be like the Princesses' in the tales I read, who marry for love. Plus, if getting the Prince's hand meant I had to be good at waltzing in the next hour or so, I couldn't care less.

"Ouch." I complained, as one of my maid's pulled the back of my dress.

"Sorry ma'am but you mustn't struggle so," Susie, whom was the first lady in waiting, conceded.

Although I was quite young, my mother wanted me to get used to having a couple of ladies in waiting. I think the main idea was that I would get used to and trust them more, meaning I may tell them something that I would not begin to think about telling mother. Although, I admit it will be nice, in about ten years' time, to have some people that really know me and will be able to comfort me if anything happens.

Susie was the lady I had had for the longest, about two years now, and was only 16 herself. She was normally very gentle with me and wouldn't push me into doing something I didn't want. She was obviously feeling my mother's stress pushing her to act more frustrated than usual. In contrast to Susie's delicate nature, my other lady was named Grey and her personality definitely matched. It wasn't that she was a nasty person; she was just so bland and boring, always following the rules and not questioning anything. She never spoke to me either, only to reply in monosyllabic words.

I wriggled uncomfortably in the satin monster I was currently being pushed into. It was way too lacy and purple for my liking. I would much prefer to stay in trousers, or at least wear something that wasn't so noticeable.

Although, I suppose a singular girl wearing trousers would be classed as noticeable.

After tugging at my hair a few times, Susie and Grey determined I was presentable.

"Well, then," I started, jumping down from the stool, "wish me luck."

"But miss, you must wait here for your escort to collect you," Susie explained, blocking the door with her petite body.

"Escort?" I asked. "I don't have an escort."

As I finished speaking, a nocking resounded through the bedroom. Glancing at the clock, Susie smiled happily. Obviously my escort was perfectly on time.

Opening the door, Susie curtseyed to the figure waiting on the other side.

"Oh, it's you," I sighed in annoyance, as I realised who was waiting for me.

The boy laughed, "it's good to see you too Colette. Looking lovely as always."

I raised my eyes but couldn't help a small smile of happiness. Ember really was a nice person sometimes. I suppose I wasn't too unhappy that mother had assigned him as my escort. Hopefully we could have an okay time at the ball.

While I was dressed up to the nines with extra petticoats and a corset, Ember was being let off with only a simple, dark suit. It flattered his skin tone very well.

"Ready?" Ember asked uncertainly as I lingered in the door way.

Glancing back inside I considered feigning a stomach ache in an attempt to escape what was waiting for me. Sighing, I nodded and walked along besides Ember.

"Just remember everything we talked about, okay?" Ember whispered into my ear as we passed servants on their way from the ball.

Refusing to look him in the eye, I shrugged disheartenly. "I don't know Ember; I just feel that whatever I do will end badly. Either I fail and embarrass myself and mother or I do well and I become betrothed to the Prince. I'm not sure which is worse."

Ember looked at me in confusion, his head cocking to the side in the way that always made my blood boil; it meant he thought I was being stupid. "You understand that dancing well doesn't mean the Prince will automatically fall in love with you?"

Punching Ember in the shoulder, I growled angrily. "You know that's not what I mean. Dancing well will lead up to being introduced to the Queen and who knows what will happen after that."

"Well I think you don't have to worry about that, it's not likely you will impress the royalty that substantially."

I scoffed at Ember's insolence. "I personally think I would be a great Princess."

"Sure, you may look the part," Ember concluded, "but do you know the facts?"

"I've had many history lessons if that's what you mean," I reminded him, holding my head high.

"Oh really?" Ember inquired sarcastically, "easy one first: what's the Prince's name?"

"Blacke, duh, everyone knows that."

"Ok, slightly harder, when did the Queen inherit the thrown?" Ember fired at me.

"She didn't, the King inherited the thrown thirty-eight years ago." I countered.

"Good, now, what was the peace treaty that the three races signed 20 years ago?"

My brain paused for a moment; I attempted to recall the title that I should've known so well.

"The POS act? Protection Of Self meaning that if anyone attacked a different region they would be harming their own?" I asked, slightly unsure.

Ember looked down at me, his smile smug, "don't sound so scared, I'm not going to hurt you if you get it wrong little one."

"Don't call me that, and don't pat me on the head either, it's really condescending," I complained, hitting his arm away from myself.

"My, such a large word for such a small Mage. Did you pick it up from the amazing influence stood in front of you I wonder?" Ember laughed cheekily as he roared off towards the ball room.

"As if," I scoffed, racing after him.

Skidding around the corner, I nearly collided into his back. Placing his hands on my shoulders, Ember steadied me carefully.

"Be careful my Lady, you must be presentable when you enter the room."

Noticing the guard, waiting for me to enter patiently, by the door, I nodded and settled my dress to be suitable. Glancing at me, the guard slowly opened the door and whispered to the man waiting inside.

"Presenting the young Lady of the house, Lady Colette of WestHollow."

Swallowing my nerves, I stumbled through the doorframe with only Ember's support keeping me upright. Blinking back the bright lights in my eyes, I wondered if this had in fact, been a terrible idea.

____________________

Hello there reader, it's very nice for you to join me once more. I hope you enjoy the latest installment of Colette's story, I don't know if you can tell but it's actually going very quickly- aka: there will be a lot of action shortly, so I hope you enjoy it.

What do you think of Colette's personality? Do you like or dislike her? What about Ember? Are they a nice family group?