III.

temptations
"I saw fire in your eyes, I saw fire when I looked into your eyes."

       ELISABETH& THE MEN HAD A RUDE AWAKENING THE NEXT MORNING

       ELISABETH& THE MEN HAD A RUDE AWAKENING THE NEXT MORNING. Rain falling down onto them in high speeds, droplets ricocheting against their face, awaking them instantly. The sun hadn't full risen, but they we're forced to continue far into the sea of tall green trees. Not only were they running away from the Pawnee on foot, but they had to walk a long distance in the cold, wearing sopping wet clothes. So you could imagine, everyone was in a crappy mood.

No one really made any conversation throughout their journey. Many kept to themselves as well as their thoughts—which was probably for the best. Occasionally someone here or there would grumble or make a comment. But it was overall silence; almost calming.

Uncomfortable and exhausted, Elisabeth tried taking in as much as beauty as possible.

The sound of thunder rumbling from above & the sound of the birds chirping. The smell of the rain & the musky moss smell that lingered along with it. All calming her, and reminding her that they were surrounded by the beauty of nature. It distracted her from reality, and her not so happy thoughts...

"Was it the right decision? Leaving the boat?" She overhears her husband ask Glass as they all moved further down the overwhelming sight of green.
"The Ree own that river. They would've flanked us. We stay east of the Grand through the mountains, we cut a week off our trip. Lands are bone dry up there. Nothing for the Ree to hunt." Glass explained to her husband, only causing her to bud into the conversation.

"Except us." She adds, while walking beside Hawk. "Except us." Glass agrees with the women, giving a small affirmative head nod.

"Is it true what Fitzgerald said? Is that why you came out here to the edge of the world?" Her husband suddenly asks, causing Glass to go silent, leaving an lingering silence over the two men.

"Glass?" Her husband speaks up again, hoping he'd get an answer from the man. "I do like the quiet." Glass comments, obviously steering clear from any conversation.

"Your boy... he's seen a lot. He got a mother you need to get him back to?" Andrew asks once silence lingered over, only causing Elisabeth to instinctively look over at Hawk. He had tensed up by her husbands question, but decided keeping quiet like his Father.

When the Captain realized he wasn't getting an answer from the man, he turns around to look over at his wife now trailing behind, beside Hawk. All she did was give him an annoyed look, causing the red headed man to focus his attention away from her.

The couple weren't on the greatest terms. After yesterday's incident, Andrew ignored her, which was expected. She did deserve it. But that wasn't why she was upset. That night, her husband took his frustrations on the leftover whiskey. And as the night progressed, the drunker he got, and the nastier he became... Her drunk husband was rude & handsy all night long—the men in camp saw it all. So essentially, Andrew was far from being welcomed with open arms by his wife the next morning.