The Great Gig in the Sky

This story contains violence, strong language, themes of slavery and animal abuse, and character death. Reader discretion is advised.

The crewmates and impostors ("Beans") are their own species. Imagine them as 3 foot tall, little furry things with paws. What looks like a visor is their eye. The full details should be revealed as the story progresses.

Twelve little Beans gathered around the main cafeteria in the Skeld. Some, like Engineer and the Gentleman, were attentive, while others zoned out. Player belonged in the second category. He rested his head in one paw and watched space float by out the Skeld's windows. He barely gave any mind to Captain's announcement.

"Why do we need an emergency meeting?" Stoner complained. "We've been to Polus before, man...no need to lecture us on it. Plus, it's cutting into my nap time. I'm missing out on some major z's."

"You green goofball!" the white bean exclaimed. "You weren't paying attention to the bulletin from MIRA, were you? We're not going to Polus. We're going to Marcellus. That's a totally different planet, last time I checked. Now granted, their names are similar and I have gotten them mixed up before--"

"This isn't one of those times, is it?" Mother asked, very worried.

"No," Captain said, drawing out the word. "This trip will take a little longer than a normal Polus trip, so get comfy. But not too comfy. Because, as you can probably guess--"

"There are two imposters among us?" Bro asked in a very sour tone.

"Bingo, baby. MIRA just sent me the warning bulletin." He waved his tablet around in front of everyone, showing them the blazing red warning screen. "So we need to either finish our tasks and get the ship to primo condition, or we ferret out the impostors...Or we die. That's a possibility too."

"Captain!" Mother blurted, holding Timmy and Franklin close. "Not in front of the children."

"It's the facts, lady," Captain retorted, which quickly led into an argument between the two. Player rolled his eye. He turned to Veteran, who watched the verbal skirmish with interest.

"They're really going at it," Veteran commented.

"Why do they always have to be like this?" complained Player. "It can never be a simple mission. I thought traveling in space was supposed to be fun."

"Fun? Maybe sometimes," Veteran said. "But not always. We're in deep space. In a big galaxy full of planets that can be hostile and dangerous. We might have to make an emergency landing on a planet with a world war going on. Who knows!"

"Well, okay, but that sounds like a worst-case scenario."

"I'm just saying. You should be prepared. And because we're in space, with nobody else around, you gotta learn to work with your crew. They're our friends!"

"I'd get more done working alone, honestly," Player said impulsively.

"Dude, you don't mean that."

"Whatever." Player rested his head on his paws. By now, Captain and Mother had stopped squabbling.

"Okay, gang," the white bean said, smoothing his fur. "Until we figure out who the impostors are, let's just do our tasks and get them over with. Check your tablets to find out what you have."

Crewmates filed out of the Cafeteria, looking at the tasks on their tablets. Mr. Cheese and the Gentleman left together, with Gnome and Engineer going off in pairs too. Ninja exited as steathily as he arrived, with Bro looking for him. Captain remained at the table with Stoner. Goober and Mother wandered off together, chatting. Veteran gave Player a peace-out sign and left, muttering about how he hated the Start Reactor task. Player checked his tablet. He had a few things he needed to do in Electrical...the most dangerous room on the ship.