Outside the Wall

Too much time had passed. By night, frosty winds moaned and pushed against the thin walls of the shed. By day, Mother listened to the wails of her fellow Beans, crying out for someone to rescue them from this mill of misery. But help never came. She accepted the routine here to dull her mind - be fed in the morning, hope to not be sold away from Timmy and Franklin in the afternoon, reject Scourge's advances at night. Not an easy life. Losing herself in a forgotten place in the snowy wastes. She didn't know when help would come, if it would at all.

In the best case scenario, MIRA would have been alerted to the attack on the Skeld not long after it had happened. Its forces would trace her ID code from the ship to where she was now. And it would take a while, but a MIRA ship would arrive to pick her and her boys up...probably.

But the worst case scenario? She didn't want to think about that.

One morning brought a change. The slug opened the top of the cage and dumped a tan Bean inside with no fanfare. It slammed the door more forcefully than it needed to, then strode away. The tan Bean got up and shook out his fur. He gave Mother a shaky smile and waved.

"Oh, hello," he said. "I guess we're roommates. Uh...which side of the cage do you prefer? Wouldn't want to be in your space, luv."

He had a gentle voice, calm and steady. He backed up, until he bumped into Scourge. The green Bean scowled.

"Hi?" the tan Bean offered.

"Don't play dumb with me, shit-fur," Scourge growled at him. "I know who you are. An' I know what you're doing. You stay away from this chick. She's mine."

"What?" Mother exclaimed. "No, I'm not! I don't even like you!"

"Whoa, whoa, what's going on?" The tan Bean tilted his head, making the tag on his collar jangle.

"None of your damn business," Scourge glared. "Just someone who thinks she's too good to be mine. She thinks she's better than the others."

"I told you to leave me alone!" Mother felt the heat rising under her fur. "You might be fine with being used as a breeding stud, but I'm not! I still have my dignity."

The tan Bean moved a step or two forward, interposing himself between Mother and Scourge. The big green Bean sat up straighter and cricked his neck, showing off his spiked collar.

"Step aside," he told him. "I'm going to teach this bitch some manners."

"No, you're not." The tan Bean stared daggers into him.

"You want a fight, shit-fur?" Scourge growled. His teeth glinted.

"Maybe I do."

The big green Bean's eye narrowed. He raised a paw to strike. The tan Bean dodged, but not fully, getting grazed by his claws. That didn't stop him, though. When Scourge came swinging again, he slipped between the big guy's legs and jumped up onto his back.

"Hey! Hey, what d'you think you're doing?" Scourge shouted. The tan Bean wedged his paws under Scourge's collar and pulled up.

Choking and gasping, Scourge swiped frantically at the pest on his back, before he dove at the ground and tried to roll his foe under him. The tan Bean let go of the collar and dodged out of the way again.

"Talk about taking your breath away," he joked, before shrugging. "Sorry. Too cheesy."

Scourge retreated to the back of the cage, coughing and adjusting his collar. The tan Bean snorted at him, then turned to Mother.

"Are you all right, luv?"

"Y-yeah."

"He hasn't tried to--"