1

Hermione sat at the back of the class, strumming her fingers loosely across the wooden desk, staring off into space as she often did.

She shrunk down into her seat in an attempt to disappear into the background, a pastime that had become most important since the beginning of her seventh year.

Every time Flitwick asked a question her friends looked to her with longing glances, still holding out hope that she would return to her usual know it all enthusiastic self.
She didn't so much as look back up at them.
Luckily for her it was the last class of the day, patience was running low and she was counting down the minutes until she could rely on just her own thoughts and company.

As soon as Flitwick announced the end of the lesson she slid off her chair and slung her bag over her shoulder quickly. Purposefully trying to ignore eye contact with her classmates in the process.
Head down, messy hair blocking her vision, she stepped out of the classroom and immediately attempted to pick up her pace.

"Hermione!"
She heard from behind her, "Hermione wait!"
Gulping, she turned around, faking the hint of a smile which was more than they'd had in days.

Harry stood in front of her, clutching his book, awkwardly rubbing at the back of his neck as Ron stood beside him with a solemn expression that Hermione found difficult to read.
Her best friends since first year and now she didn't even know what to say.

"You alright 'mione?"
Harry questioned, to which she replied with a brisk nod as she tucked a curl away from her eye-line and behind her ear.

Ron placed his hand on Harry's shoulder and moved forward a little before awkwardly speaking,
"Join us in the common room tonight?"
Hermione smiled lightly at the pair, attempting to meet their eyes in an effort to seem polite.
"Snape set three sets of potions homework. I was going to get on with that in the Library and then head to my dorm."

Harry smiled warmly, "We'll join you."
She shook her head and her fake smile quickly cracked as she let them down again,
"I'm sorry, but I think I need to focus on my own."
The pair shrugged and Harry let out a great sigh before patting Hermione on her shoulder softly. They'd labelled getting her to do anything with them anymore a lost cause.
"Well, you know where we'll be."

She smiled politely and apologised again, giving her thanks before scurrying off down the corridor toward the library.
Desperately trying not to worry herself over another disappointed expression in her direction.

When she finally made it to the library she placed her bag down and looked up at the sea of books that stood before her. Hermione took her seat and wiggled a little in her uniform to get comfortable, before watching the sky turn grey in the little window beside her.

She lay out her books upon the table in front and for the entire day, finally felt as if she could breathe. Since the threat of war and Voldemort's return and rise to power, the hatred against muggleborns, she'd found an empty library to be the only place she could truly forget about it all.

The only place she could breathe without panicking.

Seventh year had turned Hermione into a version of herself she didn't even recognise.

She hardly spoke anymore, to anyone. Not since the growing attacks on muggleborn's had forced her to obliviate her parents. Since then she'd hidden herself away. Silently collected research on Horcrux's and other useful curses for her best friends to use when the time came.
Hermione would indefinitely still help the cause, and she'd fight beside them eventually. However that didn't stop her from feeling lost with a lack of motivation that led her to the same dull routine everyday.