Chapter Eight - You have made me happy

“’Lastly, she pictured to herself how this same little sister of hers would, in the after-time, be herself a grown woman; and how she would keep, through all her riper years, the simple and loving heart of her childhood: and how she would gather about her other little children, and make their eyes bright and eager with many a dream of Wonderland of long ago: and how she would feel with all their simple sorrows, and find a pleasure in all their simple joys, remembering her own child-life, and the happy summer days.’ And that concludes Part One.” Robin said as the swing that he was sitting on squeaked softly, “How did you like it?”

I was swinging gently as I listened to him. “I liked it a lot,” I said, “I wish that we had time to finish Part Two before you left.”

As I said it, the frigid air sent chills all throughout my body. I didn’t want to think about Robin leaving. I couldn’t help it though; he was leaving in two days.

“I do too. You could read it by yourself if you really want to.”

“No, it wouldn’t be the same.”

We were both quiet for a few long seconds.

“I’m sorry,” He finally said very quietly.

“Don’t be sorry, Robin. You’re serving your country.”

“I’m not sorry that I’m in the army. I’m sorry that I have to leave you.”

I didn’t say anything.

“What do you say we go to Annie’s and get some hot chocolate?” he said, making the subject brighter.

I grinned, “I’d like that a lot.”

A blast of warm air collided with me as we entered Annie’s. My fingers began to feel numb from the sudden change of temperature as we both sat down in one of the booths.

“Hi, pals!” Ariel greeted us as she approached our table.

“Hi, Ariel,” I said with a grin.

“How’s my favorite waitress?” Robin asked, teasing.

“Oh, the usual - smiling my way through the afternoon rush, annoying my boss, and holding onto my paycheck by a thumbnail.”

“Speaking of bosses,” I said, “How is Mrs. Dixon?”

“Her blood pressure is rising with every customer that walks into the joint.” She said rigidly.

“That poor woman,” I said solemnly.

“Eh, she’s a cranky old lady. She deserves what she’s got.”

Robin and I laughed.

“Anyway, what can I get for ya on this mighty fine afternoon?” Ariel asked.

“Two hot chocolates, please. That’s all.” Robin said.

“Sure thing, kiddos, I’ll be right back with that.” Ariel said as I heard the click-clack-click of her heels fade away.

“Thanks for this,” I said.

“It’s no problem,” he said, “There’s nothing like a little hot chocolate to make the day a little brighter.”

I smiled.

“I’m excited to meet more of your family tonight.” He said sweetly.

I giggled, “Most of my family is pretty okay. It’s my Aunt Christy that you have to worry about.”

“Why?” he chuckled.

“Well, she’s really judgmental and she talks about her kids as if they were gods.” I explained, “And, well, she thinks that-”